• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: stemik
Japan law states that - detachable cable lifts require a safety bar. single cable lifts do not..
quite ridicuously it doesnt depend on height, winds, etc...

Interesting! I did not know that, but now that you mention it, it makes sense (not as in, "it makes sense that detachable lifts have them but non-detachable ones don't," but more like, "what is observed falls into some framework of understanding").

Can anyone recall even one incident of someone falling off a lift in Japan? There are hundreds of resorts, many with old lifts with no safety bar yet I can't remember any incidents in the last 4 or 5 seasons of anyone falling off. Doesn't seem too unsafe to me.

The lifts like this one in Thredbo have 2 chains across the front, rather than a bar

Originally Posted By: yoroshiku onegai shimasu
This was a curious 2 man lift with absolutely no hint of safety bar. It was like one of those one man trays, but for two.

yoroshiku%20onegai%20shimasu_27.jpg

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Can anyone recall even one incident of someone falling off a lift in Japan? There are hundreds of resorts, many with old lifts with no safety bar yet I can't remember any incidents in the last 4 or 5 seasons of anyone falling off. Doesn't seem too unsafe to me.

Good point. I cannot remember hearing of anything like that. I suppose though some people are put off by lifts they don't like the look of. (Sissies).

Some people have a fear of heights, they aren't wierd or sooks, they just have that (irrational) fear. No way to overcome it, but a safety bar is a lot better than none. (I ski with a lady who shuts her eyes all the way up every lift. Only way to avoid the fear of falling. She also clamps onto her +1's arm like a vice!)

She has major palpitations on lifts like the black double at Mt Perisher with the chain across, and the orange double at Niseko with nothing.

I know JA, I was just being silly with that last comment.

I can totally understand why some people may not want to ride one without a safety bar.

friend

Originally Posted By: Go Native

My youngest fell off the lift last week. The height was about 3 meters. He had a bloody nose and black eye. There was blood everywhere but after a quick x-ray everything was ok. It was a Tokyu lift and covered by their insurance.
Why did he fall? Swinging on the lift with his big sister.

Kids are kids and will swing - these lifts should have saftey bars!

Glad your grommet is alright there Stemik!

Not nice when you think your kid is hurt is it.

Safety bars!

Safety bars!

Safety bars!

I just interpreted for an OH&S lecture today - and MY GOD! It is all about risk minimisation - if the safety bar is there and the customer chooses not to use it - the responsibility is on thier head - but without a safety bar the companies are leaving themselves WIDE open to litigation. Even in Japan - it is coming .... I never though Aus would be as litigious as the US, but they have become that way... it is really only a matter of time.

Glad to hear he is OK.

3 metres is pretty high for a Grom.

Probably shocked the person riding behind.

I've seen people fall off. Once it was like he nodded off and fell. The other was it looked like the person dropped something and reacted, shifted her body, and slipped off.

When I was younger I read stories on the paper about people falling off, maybe once a season. More often people fatally crashing into the lift. Unfortunatly, I saw this a few times.

They put the red mattress around the lift in late 70's as a countermeasure. I think the bar thing happened around then, too.

Since I am snowboarding, I really like the foot rest.