Originally Posted By: shadowtec
......and your hearing is impaired (dosen't matter to me my hearing is not the greatest and odds are I am unable to hear any impending doom)

Well I am off in August for my 2nd girls trip with a profoundly deaf friend of mine - she's not gonna hear ANYTHING coming from behind - and she got a text from me today telling her she is WEARING a helmet this trip!!

Beginners fall more often, and often land worse than more experienced people - if anyonee should be wearing a helmet it is a beginner. Not that a helmet will stop all fatalities or injuries - but if it saves just one it is worth it.
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
And she was on a green beginner run.

Yup. Taking a lesson. Helmet or no helmet, she fell where her head was most likely to take a traumatic impact from the ground conditions. THe beginner runs are generally the most heavily used and hardest packed runs.
Originally Posted By: thursday
but surely, that's a personal choice. razz

Yes, and I am not gonna hold her down and force one on her head - but I will be a pushy friend....especially as we are trouble together - and likely to be riding hung over.... better be safe and play another day, than the alternative.

Sad to hear an avoidable loss of life.

Ultimately it is a personal choice. As long as one has been informed of the risk and consequence of not wearing one. FACT - helmet saves head injuries,as long as it is designed for the job. EN rated appropriate helmets.

If you decide not to wear it for coolness factor or you like the feeling of wind on your head, (I doubt that unless it's warm spring conditions), that's your choice.

Arizona USA, you can ride a motorbike legally without a helmet....

but making it compulsory can save some lives.. here's my case

I never used to wear helmets until 6 years ago when a friend lent me his racing bike. I was out of work so not taking chances of copping a fine I put the borrowed helmet on.

I came off head first, I tried to do a Judo roll, took impact on my forearm and broke my wrist, then side of my head and shoulders went in. When I got up and looked at my helmet, half of it was shattered. Sharp stones were embedded into the shredded bit and some stones were in my shoulders. I would have lost my ear at least.

And with snowboarding, 2nd day I fell and hit my head hard. I couldn't get up. Like I have been knocked out. Concussed. Got myself a helmet after that. Now, My girlfriend, her parents are wearing Giro. My girl is boarding more confidently and improved heaps because of the knowledge she is safer. Her dad has been skiing the Alps for over 50 years and says he is not worried about falling, it's the other idiots colliding he is worried about.

The helmet debate goes on in other sports like Paragliding,, If you are interested check the .com forum. In skydiving, regulations are if you have like 400 jumps you don't have to wear it. Most skydiving helmets are not that impact resistant.

From my experience in canopy piloting, I do prefer to have air on my ears. You can get helmets of this type. Helmets don't have to be full-face. Again choices.

You don't want to wear a helmet, be it on your own head. But do not attempt any bogus arguments to back up your reason for not wearing one. There aren't any. Because of this sad & high profile story today my kids made the connection on why I make them wear a helmet when they cycle and ski. Anyone making spurious arguments against wearing a helmet are encouraging people not to wear a helmet and that is downright irresponsible. Don't wear a helmet, its your choice; but don't bragg about it.

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
Funny I would never think of getting on my horse without a helmet but have never considered wearing one whilst skiing.

Being that I am a novice and felt I don't put myself in dangerous situations OR go fast enough I have never thought about it.

I remember posting this back on 9th Jan. This recent sad sad tragedy really brings it home. Here she was on a beginners run having a lesson. SCARY.

The 2 worst crashes I had this trip I was hit by snowboarders so no matter how careful or slow you are going sometimes things are totally out of your control.

We wear helmets when we are on our bikes, horses, skateboards WHY don't we wear them while we are skiing?? I don't think for me it is a to cool for school thing I just don't think I have ever thought about it, but really when you think about it skiing/snowboarding is no different to being on a bike or a horse or a skateboard.

I think I may get one for next year.

Same - think helmets should be enforced now - everyone recognizes skiiing and snowboarding as dangerous sports.

In most other sports, when the famous athletes wear something, usually their fans also want to buy it. But look at snowboarding - how many people look up at Shaun White and Jamie Anderson yet don't buy a bome-dome because they are considered not cool?

A friend of mine once advised that he didnt get his children vaccinated. his argument being that there was evidence around that vaccines can harm some children. So, despite the overwhelming evidence for vaccines, he focussed on the tiny data against them.

Same with the helmet debate I guess...

OK, I do not wear a helmet, never have!

I DO wear a seatbelt (partly because it is illegal not to, but partly because I have ever since they were available and do not feel comforable without it).

I DO wear a helmet when on the motorcycle, again because of the law and because I have always had one.

If the law changes, I will wear a helmet skiing. However, Having never had one, I feel uncomfortable with the decision.

At 60+, I do not have that much living left, if I go while sliding, I will be happy! My kids are all adults and well able to look after themselves and have n ot had much to do with me since they were around 12 or so (that's another story altogether - let's not go there just now!) and +1 is my age, competent skier and aware of the way I feel (there's just the 2 of us and no-one else to be concerned about!).

I prefer the freedom and "natural" feel of skiing with a cap or beanie rather than a "brain bucket". My choice, my responsibilty, my life and my (possible) death. I'm happy with the way I am!

Originally Posted By: mikelowry
Never used to wear one,now never wouldn't wear one.

Same: Never used to wear one prior to a heavy blind-sided accident I had when I got ran into by a guy from above me at pace over a decade ago now.

Never wouldn't wear one when snowriding now.

I would be more fair if the insurance is cheaper for helmet wearers, and more expensive for non-wearer. Like smokers and non-smokers quotes.

As I said, freedom of choice. I never used to wear helmets, either, so I understand that.

It's interesting law and habit enforce many peoples behavior..

Actually, wearing a helmet is much more comfortable than wearing a beanie. Beanies get hot and hair gets soggy underneath. Sometimes itchy. After wearing helmets, my head is walm, never cold, sweaty, itchy.

I wear a Scott. Not too expensive, Looks a bit big but very light, chin straps are soft, well made. Giro, Scott, Protec... all good.

Originally Posted By: shadowtec
it would be to hard for the insurance company's to prove if the policy holder is wearing a helmet or not

Not sure about that. I am sure that the pattern of injury would tell all sorts of stories.

What insurance are we talking, here? Health insurance? Life insurance? Travel insurance? I am not aware of any of these that could enforce a discount for helmet wearing. Could be wrong - have been in the past!

Well I know there is a company here that deals with covering skiers and boarders and travel insurance covers it (CHECK YOUR POLICY cause some charge extra for snow sports)

I was covered for my trip to japan (extra $30 medical only with my plane ticket)

What Jynxx is suggesting is a discount on those ski policys for those who wear helmets.

It would come down to disclosure.

EG:

Most insurance policys ask you if you are a smoker...you tick yes or no. They often also ask if you have ever smoked, and if so how long since your last cigarette. If you are bring treated for lung cancer and you claim to have given up smoking 30 years earlier, and youur policy was discounted on that basis, however your medical reports state you were actually smoking at that point in time your policy would probably be null and void. If you are claiming for physio and you fudged the truth on the forms they prob wouldnt look/care/do anything.

Same for helmets. If you tick the I wear a helmet box and get a little discount on your insurance for being a responsible adrenalin junkie then if you need to claim trravel insurance for snapped ACL they wont care a jot if you had your helmet on or not. However if they hve to pay out for a brain injury and the medical report indicates the injury was consistnt with no helmet being worn - then you might be in trouble.

Regardless - it is a mute point as no one offers a discount for helmet use yet.