The FOOTBALL Thread (2008-2009)

Fergie's had a few big money misses of late, but he's been in similar situations before and is still the best at working around things. I think its more bowing to the inevitable than willfully getting rid of Ronaldo though. He's far too productive to want rid.

I've not seen anyone mention it yet, but don't Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo completely hate each other? They'll be back in the same team again.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ol' Horseface has been top scorer in three different leagues. He doesn't do much on his own, but he's a quality finisher. Way better than Rooney at it, for example.

I was kind of hoping it would drag on and then it go through near the end, leaving United without any time to get thing sorted with other new player(s).

wink

Impossible to turn down that deal. Apart from the amazing money, Ronaldo wasn't quite as good this year (yeah, still brilliant) and his eye was obviously elsewhere. He was increasingly selfish on the pitch (see CL final). I bet Fergie and some of the other players are not weeping at the departure of the circus either.

Quote:
Ronaldo has night in Paris

CHAMPAGNE-swilling RONALDO celebrates his ï½£80million transfer by sharing a raunchy night with PARIS HILTON.

The winking winger, 24, kissed and cuddled the 28- year-old socialite in a Hollywood club before they headed to her sister's home.

Ronaldo's move from Man United to Real Madrid sets a new world record.

The scoring machine and Paris got down and dirty as they teamed up to celebrate the soccer ace's ï½£80million transfer.

A clubber who witnessed their frolicking said: "They were sucking each other's faces off like their plane was going down.

"At one point Ronaldo had a bottle between his legs and Paris was stroking it. It was very racy."

There's different stories on how the 80m is to be paid.

Independent saying in one go, others saying 20m x 4 years.

Quote:
After all the weeks and months of conjecture, rumour and flirtations, the £80m deal which will take Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United to Real Madrid on an initial £9.5m annual salary was tied up in just two hours, it was revealed last night.

Without the slightest ceremony – not even an advance telephone call – the Real Madrid president, Florentino Perez, faxed United's chief executive David Gill at Old Trafford at around 6pm on Wednesday evening, where staff immediately contacted him to make him aware of the astonishing document which lay before them.

Gill was making his way to Uefa's offices in Geneva, Switzerland, where he attended a meeting yesterday. His first and immediate telephone call was to Sir Alex Ferguson, holidaying in the south of France, his second was to club owner's the Glazer family, the third to Ronaldo's agent Jorge Mendes to ensure the player actually wanted the six-year deal, and by mid-evening the world's most expensive transfer deal had been concluded. The £80m – payable, The Independent understands, in one lump sum – will be Ferguson's to spend as he wishes.

This is funny.

Moral of the story, don't believe a word anyone says in the world of footie

>

"It's not the time to talk about other clubs at the moment. I'm happy here and I'm going to stay" - Cristiano Ronaldo, December 8, 2008.

"I don't care what people are saying. I have not read it. I am here in Japan and I know nothing about what is going on around me. But I am very happy playing for Manchester United" - Cristiano Ronaldo, December 19, 2008.

"People were speaking about me this summer but that was normal because of what I did during the season. What people are saying now is not true. Who says that is a liar because I am happy at the club, I want to stay here. I feel at home here. I feel very happy here. When I arrived at the stadium, to play against Villarreal, I felt a little bit of pressure. But the fans were very good and this is why I feel the Manchester United supporters are amazing. I love the fans because they have been brilliant with me, not just this season but every season. Like I said before, I feel at home in Manchester" - Cristiano Ronaldo, January 1.

"Everything that revolves around Cristiano Ronaldo is a bit of speculation. Everything that I do generates a certain interest from the press and public. But 90 per cent of what is said and written about me stems from speculation. The only thing that is true is that I am happy at Manchester United. This is my home. Because I am winning things, because of friends, because of fans, I have always felt very loved. I feel at home here, it is a very lovely stage in my career, as much because of the coach, who has always supported me, as because of the players. I feel part of the furniture at United. I don't know what is going to happen tomorrow, but I feel very happy here" - Cristiano Ronaldo, January 20.

"I feel very happy where I am now. I feel very happy in Manchester. Manchester are challenging for titles and I have to appreciate that. Maybe the other clubs don't have an opportunity like us. As for the future, only God knows. I prefer to speak about the present and the present is brilliant. Manchester play well and I feel very happy here and I want to stay here" - Cristiano Ronaldo, February 27.

"I just don't care what the whole world seems to want to say about me or speculate about my future. I've said it a thousand times and, by now, people should realise...I'm totally happy at United. I'm in the form of my life and I'm having the season of my career so far. So it makes me mad sometimes to read some of the things which are supposed to be related to my future. I get angry but I'm trying to accept it's a waste of energy to be furious because it is not worth it" - Cristiano Ronaldo, April 16.

"It is a great feeling and I love to play here. I am very happy here. I want to win more trophies here. At the moment I think I am at the right club. And I want to win trophies next season as well. It is not luck that there are three English teams in the semi final of the Champions League. In my opinion it is because the Premier League is the toughest league and the most competitive league with the best players" - Cristiano Ronaldo, April 18.

"I have to answer this a thousand times. I am happy here and I want to stay here" - Cristiano Ronaldo, May 25.

"Now, as I have said many times, only God knows the future. I have never hid from anyone that I would like to play in Spain one day. It's a dream, but sometimes dreams don't happen. I can guarantee that I am happy at Manchester United and that I would love to continue" - Cristiano Ronaldo, May 27.

'At Cristiano's request - who has again expressed his desire to leave - and after discussion with the player's representatives, United have agreed to give Real Madrid permission to talk to the player' - A Manchester United club statement, June 11.

mark hughes was saying theres lots of money floating around now and lots of transfers will come. the annoying thing is liverpool seem to be doing nothing, i bet we will bring anotehr few players like ngog and el'zhar and maybe one mediocre player like Riera. Grim. LFC really got it horribly wrong with the takeover, when you compare it to man utd, chelsea etc.

that deal was agreed ages ago methinks, ol red nosed Fergie hasn't made a song and dance about it, maybe the fee wasn't agreed but I think the 2 clubs had already agreed that he would move during the summer. 80 mill for that primma donna.......thankyou very much!! He can go dive and fanny dance with the rest of the diving fanny dancers in Spain. With 80 mill Man U can buy anyone they want to replace him. While he is a good player I don't think he is the GREATEST player and I think he can be replaced fairly easily. It won't be much of a blip in Man U's play

I definitely reckon that Gerrard is a better player than Ronaldo. Gerrard is a more complete player, gets all over the park, tackles and defends well then sparks an attack with a lethal pass and often gets up the park to finish it off by scoring. Ronaldo only really plays in the opposition half. scores a lot of goals granted but too much Riverdance for me.

Gerrard was player of the year this year by miles. With a direct approach to the Scouse Americans, he may even have a price. Mourinho wasn't far off getting him a couple of years back.

He isnt going anywhere - I think that time has gone and he is getting old now. We are starting to challenge and he will do another 4 years here before maybe moving on as Liverpools greatest ever legend (we will need to win a few more things though to cement that). I hope he stays on into his old age like Neville and Giggs.

Sorry, forgot about him wink Must have been all those games he didn't feature in.

Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere, but apparently John Barnes is the new Tranmere manager. Here's his first team talk:

You've got to hold and give,

But do it at the right time.

You can be slow or fast,

But you must get to the line....

Bright boy Tevez to City soon then?

Mark Hughes is still confident of signing Carlos Tevez despite Manchester United finally agreeing to match the £25million fee.

Manchester City boss Sparky knows he can blow United out of the water with a wage offer of £140,000 a week with United only prepared to pay £95,000 a week.

And all the indications are that Tevez is ready to sever his United ties and move across town to bolster City's startling revolution.

A source revealed: "United have matched the fee but it looks like the City wages will swing it."

News of Tevez's switch comes as Hughes admitted players choose City only because of the money on offer.

BUT:

CHELSEA will make a last-ditch bid to hijack Carlos Tevez's £30million move to Manchester City.

Tevez is set to snub Manchester United's bid to persuade him to stay at Old Trafford even after the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo.

City are still favourites to land the Argentina striker - but Chelsea have now told Tevez's agents they would be interested in a deal.

New Blues boss Carlo Ancelotti's top target is Bayern Munich's French star Franck Ribery. But with Roman Abramovich willing to spend big, Tevez would also be a major addition.

Tevez wants to stay in the Premier League and would prefer not to uproot his family from the north-west.

That leaves City in pole position. But Chelsea would be more than able to meet his £120,000-a-week wage demand as well as agent Kia Joorabchian's £30m valuation.