The FOOTBALL Thread (2008-2009)

I wish United hadn't offered the full price (if indeed they have) or try to persuade him to stay (if indeed they have).

He's not good enough I reckon, frustrating player doing his best but getting nowhere. And seemingly trying to blame everyone but himself for not being that good.

Will be glad he goes.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

United shouldn't offer 25 mill for him. He won't be guaranteed first place games. Totally over-rated player if you ask me can't quite see why all these other clubs are supposedly ready with the cheque books to write big numbers.

This one's funny seen it? Mickey Owen produces brochure

Agents offer Michael Owen to clubs with help of 34-page brochure

Michael Owen's management company has been shopping their client to various clubs with the help of a 34-page brochure that talks up the Newcastle striker.

In the document, Wasserman Media Group says: "Were it not for an unhappy spell at Real Madrid and two injury-scarred years at Newcastle, he would be spoken about in the same breath as Torres and Ronaldo and valued in the priceless figures that only match-winning goalscorers ever justify."

Owen is out of contract on 30 June and available as a free agent. The Wasserman brochure, reported in the Sunday Mirror, reveals the player would prefer to stay in the Premier League. It says that, in choosing his next move, Owen "is about to make the biggest decision of his football career", and explains that the 29-year-old is "good looking" and "charismatic".

Sam Rush, the group's chief operating officer, said: "As one of the world's leading sports agencies, Wasserman regularly utilise comprehensive documentation and audiovisual material to illustrate the benefits of our clients."

lol

Owen has been washing up for years now. It's almost as if he peaked at the start. Downhill for a long time now, I find it hard to understand why he is (or was) still able to command such inflated wages (* yes I know they all are but he in particular has been getting top flight salaries until now)

Owen's had too many injuries. He got the last big one playing for England when he clearly wasn't fit. He'd had 34 minutes football in the preceding six months or whatever. He screwed the Toon big time.

Current Toon farce is the news that we're paying 625,000 quid a year for Joey Barton's image rights. The truth is its probably a tax dodge, but all the same....

Its hard to know what Tevez is worth with so much silly money being thrown around, but 15M at most, I guess.

We got Martinez. Wonder if he's any good.

Champions League action next year!

Quote:
Wigan Athletic have confirmed Roberto Martinez as their new manager after the Spaniard finalised a three-year deal.

The appointment had been delayed by talks with Martinez's former club Swansea over compensation for the 35-year-old and then his backroom staff.

But the two camps have now agreed a deal for assistant Graeme Jones and chief scout Kevin Reeves to move.

And Martinez is expected to be unveiled to the media on Tuesday after an attempt to do so last week was aborted.

He had been due to be presented as Wigan boss at a news conference last Thursday after the Premier League club agreed an estimated £2m compensation deal with Swansea.

I think he is a good player. He surely must be. There must be something there for Fergie to "swoop" for him and with all the current "swooping" going on from other clubs. It's just that he is not as exciting as the price tag suggests. Curious.....

He only got good when he was wanting a new contract at the end of the season. I'd be a bit dismayed if LFC paid over 15M for him. We paid about 20M for Keano and I would say he is equally good as him.

The goal he scored against Citeh was total class. I think Tevez is slightly better than Dirk Kuyt. Both do a job.

Martinez is supposed to be a great manager. I'd rather have him than Shearer, or Steve Bruce for that matter. He only got Palacios after a big tip from Wenger and Valencia is one of Jewell's.

Great pic of Ronaldo!