The FOOTBALL Thread (2008-2009)

HALF TIME: Liverpool 2-0 Newcastle United. Liverpool have been very impressive. Newcastle United's defence want shooting, although any firing squad would find it almost impossible to get them standing in a straight line along the wall.

lol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle look doomed, their match against Boro is the proverbial 6-pointer!! Shearer doesn't look like the type of person that has the spark needed to motivate players to win in such a short space of time. They probably need someone like Stuart Pearce who at least would batter 7 shades of shit from them after such an inept display. Will be such a shame to see the Toon Army go down.....I'd rather see Hull and Boro

3 more for Liverpool.

4 more for United.

United are 3 points clear with a game in hand.

We should have scored more and made our GD as good as it can be.

Barton needs to be put down. He really is total scum.

Saturday, May 9 2009

Blackburn Rovers - Portsmouth (15.00)

Bolton Wanderers - Sunderland (15.00)

Everton - Tottenham Hotspur (15.00)

Fulham - Aston Villa (15.00)

Hull City - Stoke City (15.00)

West Bromwich Albion - Wigan Athletic (15.00)

West Ham United - Liverpool (17.30)

Sunday, May 10 2009

Manchester United - Manchester City (13.30)

Arsenal - Chelsea (16.00)

Monday, May 11 2009

Newcastle United - Middlesbrough (20.00)

Wednesday, May 13 2009

Wigan Athletic - Manchester United (20.00)

Saturday, May 16 2009

Manchester United - Arsenal (12.45)

Bolton Wanderers - Hull City (15.00)

Everton - West Ham United (15.00)

Middlesbrough - Aston Villa (15.00)

Newcastle United - Fulham (15.00)

Stoke City - Wigan Athletic (15.00)

Tottenham Hotspur - Manchester City (15.00)

Sunday, May 17 2009

West Bromwich Albion - Liverpool (13.30)

Chelsea - Blackburn Rovers (16.00)

Monday, May 18 2009

Portsmouth - Sunderland (20.00)

Sunday, May 24 2009

Arsenal - Stoke City (16.00)

Aston Villa - Newcastle United (16.00)

Blackburn Rovers - West Bromwich Albion (16.00)

Fulham - Everton (16.00)

Hull City - Manchester United (16.00)

Liverpool - Tottenham Hotspur (16.00)

Manchester City - Bolton Wanderers (16.00)

Sunderland - Chelsea (16.00)

West Ham United - Middlesbrough (16.00)

Wigan Athletic - Portsmouth (16.00)

The Derdy could be the one.

I thought Barton had already been put down. No? Shame.

Our PL game against United will be a rum one. Don't know if I want Liverpool to win the league more than United. But don't want them too either and of course want the Arsenal win. Ah, so easy then.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
I have a feeling newcastle will pinch a draw tonight and title race will be over. lets see...

More faith than me! I was expecting 4-0.

Yeah, more dross from the Toon. Lots of lazy journos blame the defence but that just shows how little they understand football. The clear problem is in midfield. Newcastle create nothing and rapidly lose possession putting everyone on the back foot again. If the defence was really hopeless, Liverpool would walk it in and not ping in shots from twenty plus. Beye and Bassong are probably Everton/Villa standard but are constantly under the kosh. Anyway, if I hear a commentator describing Nicky Butt passing direct to the opposition as "uncharacteristic" one more time, I think I'll kick my tv in.

Still three to go though, and Fulham looked in worse fettle at this time last year. I think the other teams are bad enough for the Toon to still have a chance, but I don't think the Toon will be good enough to take it.

Apparently Mike Ashley wanted to sack Joey Barton after the conviction but Keegan derailed it. This is how he repays the club. What a mong.

Newcastle's defence is woeful though. On paper they have a decent midfield and attack but for some reason they are playing gash!! Newcastle haven't had a decent defence for god knows how long, poor Harper finally getting his chance in this team, cos he is a good keeper, a bit dodgy with the crosses but shot stopping is good. I think a huge prob for the Toon midfield is trying to play Butt, Smith and Barton in the same line-up, they are practically the same player

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Newcastle haven't had a decent defence for god knows how long, poor Harper finally getting his chance in this team, cos he is a good keeper, a bit dodgy with the crosses but shot stopping is good. I think a huge prob for the Toon midfield is trying to play Butt, Smith and Barton in the same line-up, they are practically the same player

Defensive *record* was fine in Shearer's last season, 05-06.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_in_English_football

That was with extremely limited defenders like Stephen Carr, Babayaro, and of course Bramble and Boumsong. The main reason there was Scott Parker cleaning up, creative players like Solano and Zogbia doing something with it, and the fading Shearer at least being able to hold it up. Newcastle's defenders in the CL a few years earlier under Bobby Robson were possibly worse (!), but we didn't concede many as a team because we had good attacking players and capable midfielders. The current team is completely incapable of retaining possession.

Butt was finished about three years ago, Smith was finished after his big injury, and Barton is a waste of space. I think Barton was a "I can handle him"-type vanity signing by Allardyce. Our new boy Nolan is immobile and looks at least two stone overweight! The only passer we have left is Geremi but his legs have gone. Apparently that's what Mourinho himself said to Robson when Allardyce signed him. Mourinho and Robson go way back from Barca. Robson's midfield was some combination of Solano, Speed, Lee, Jenas, Dyer, and Robert. Any of those players would walk into the team now. Even after a big night on the beers and a good puke in the dressing room!

The first goal on Sunday came from Viduka heading the ball backwards and Smith failing to clear. Goal three was a foul from Butt and then Butt playing everyone onside at the free kick. Neither is really the defence's fault, though they get all the blame. I don't know if it was the lack of Torres, but pinging in shots from outside the box is lazy, and a waste against Newcastle. They're chances, but only half-chances really.

If the Toon go doon, someone will come in for Bassong. Maybe Wenger even. They would for Beye too, but he's getting on now.

I think the defence you state was terrible, but like you said you had an attacking line that was able to mop up and hold the ball up, taking pressure off of your crappy defence. Boumsong and Titeass were awful players. Boumsong wasn't even good up in Scotland for Rangers. I think when Parker left there was a huge hole there that nobody was really able to fill and as a result the surrounding midfield has collapsed. Newcastle have problems all thru the team.

I'm going to get up for the CL game tomorrow morning.

I'm confident United will give Citeh a good thrashing too (even as Massive as they are).

thumbsup

Tape and watch early tomorrow for me. I'm not THAT keen. (Would be if it were Wigan of course).

I think United'll stuff City as well. They won't have forgotten last year.

Why are all commentators either ex-Liverpool or other brand of United haters. It's beyond a joke some of the utter crap they come out with.

I am watching with the Japanese commentary on from now, tired of it.

It's a good job that United are the best team in the world. slap lol

Arsenal need 4 goals with 50 minutes left. (Obviously United have been "lucky").

Jim Beglin, ex Scouse. Jim WHO!?!?

He just said he was "disappointed" with how the game is going.

Awww, bless.

lol

You should keep the English on rach, they come out with some funny bullshit at times.

61 min: GOAL!!! Abject Shower 0-3 Manchester United. That's that, then, if we didn't know already. Vidic heads clear from his area towards Ronaldo on the right. Ronaldo backheels for Park, who sweeps the ball left to Rooney. Rooney scampers down the centre of the pitch, drawing Arsenal's only two defenders in place, and rolls the ball back across right to Ronaldo, who hammers home. Such a wonderful breakaway goal. The Emirates exits become very busy, populated by angry and swearing men.

lol

Yes that sucks. No deleting that decision either apparently, however incorrect.

United looking strong again, sadly. :(

Arsenal should be better when they visit OT in a week or so when that Russian scamp will be there, but still....

Very harsh on Fletcher, he's a decent lad it seems and has played well in the CL this season.

Apparently there might be a very slim chance of overturning it if the ref admits his mistake.

Not being able to appeal something like that is just ludicrous.