The FOOTBALL Thread (2008-2009)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Livrpool will go into meltdown mode now.

It's Chelsea vs Liverpool this weekend. That should be fun.

Here's my preferences.

First choice:

Draw. Both lose points.

Second choice:

Liverpool win. Just don't see them being the biggest challengers so if anyone has to win I prefet it be Liverpool. Having said that, they have the easier run in to the end of the season, on paper.

Third choice:

I can't say it.

Actually, a draw is easy best. With lots of red cards.

Fact: ever since Rafael Benitez waved his A4 at the press corps and ranted about Sir Alex Ferguson, Liverpool have not won a game.

Fact: at the time of his outburst, Liverpool were top of the Premier League.

Fact: now they are third, two points behind Manchester United, having played one game more.

Perhaps Benitez is trying to make a point to Liverpool's owners. Perhaps he is trying to make a point to Robbie Keane. Perhaps he is trying to make a point to Steven Gerrard. Perhaps the point he is trying to make is: I'm the boss.

Evidently, the only point he seems capable of making is just that: one point. Not three. And that is what is killing Liverpool's best title challenge for 19 years. Seven draws from their past ten league matches has left the side floundering.

Tony Cascarino believes Benitez is unconcerned about this - he is only interested in finishing with more points than last year. Whether this is true or not, Benitez's recent decisions have been left open to scrutiny.

Last night at Wigan was a perfect example. Benitez left Keane on the bench until the 84th minute and when he did bring him on, it was to replace Gerrard. He also took off Fernando Torres and Yossi Benayoun, who scored Liverpool's goal.

His press conference after the match also appeared to show how badly he is coping with the strain. When asked if he was feeling the heat of the championship race, he replied cryptically: "No I am OK. What you can’t control, you can’t change and maybe you have to understand it has to be like this for years. I don’t have any psychological battles with him [Ferguson]. He has been here for 22 years and you can see what it means. You can see what it means to stay here for 22 years. I will not say anything else."

But is Liverpool's demise really down to Benitez or is it his players' fault?

Oliver Kay described their display at the JJB Stadium as either a loss of nerve, a loss of the plot or simply a lack of the class required to win championships. "As anxiety grew, Lucas Leiva inexplicably brought down Jason Koumas for a penalty from which Mido crowned his debut for the home team with a goal that will have been greeted with even greater joy by [Manchester] United’s supporters," Kay wrote. "Mascherano was in headless chicken mode, while Lucas was no stand-in for Xabi Alonso, who was rested."

So who is to blame? Has Benitez cost Liverpool the title? You decide.

I wont jinx us by talking about this weekends game, though I induldge myself to say that I think we do well in bigger games (especially this season) and that we are due a win.

I havent been wearing my liverpool shirt the past few months (too cold) but I am going to wear it on top of my PJs on sunday night and lets see if it brings us back some luck.

I just noticed tonights United game is actually 2:30am.

Seems most of our games have been that time the last few months.

grandpa

5 points clear please. Nothing less will do.

I'm gonna have a swim and a nap then watch both games. Sunderland vs Newcastle is usually a good one to watch. I got my liverpool shirt laid out ready, if we lose or draw this one its going to be extremely painful.

I want to know how come the ref sent off Lampard ( confused ) but totally ignored the Gerrard incident - which was worse - just a bit before.

Shame it wasn't a draw.

It was snowing pretty good there at one point wasn't it. Perhaps they should ship some of it off to Japan?

BOOO-YAH!

I'm wearing the shirt every game from now till the end of the season.

Shame about Lampard, that was a shocking decision. Mr one-eyebrow should have been sent off later though for shoving Benayoun off the pitch with his studs, he will surely get done later for that.

A bit of champions luck has returned, a new dawn a new day...

That game annoyed me.

Chelsea were rubbish, bottom line.

Actually it was a rubbish game.

Mike Riley is an idiot of course but less excuses is better.

I think we're out of it now. I know United have turned round hugely in the last month but I don't see that happening again.

grandpa