The FOOTBALL Thread (2008-2009)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brickin' it!

Still underwhelmed with the transfers all round this season. Not long to go now though now. I'll be at that first game at OT in just a few weeks. Going to see them play Juventus there before that too.

clap

"FOOTBALLER Cristiano Ronaldo is being lined up to star in a multi-million dollar remake of the epic TV series Roots.

Ronaldo has demanded £3.5m per episode

Producers say the star's treatment at the hands of Manchester United make him the perfect choice to portray the young African slave who is beaten by his brutal masters.

The Portuguese winger said he had been traumatised by 'outrageous' demands that he honour the £125,000 a week, legally-binding contract, which has brought him only, misery, adulation and Gemma Atkinson.

Speaking from the titanium gazebo in the rose garden of his 31-room mansion, Ronaldo said: "I feel I can relate to the suffering of African slaves.

"If anything, it is worse, because footballers cannot sing while we work, whereas they had time to develop gospel music during their 16-hours shifts before dropping dead from exhaustion."

In the series a young African boy is dragged from his homeland and shipped to America where he is forced to work in the fields by a cruel and violent plantation owner.

"The similarities are uncanny, though admittedly, the Lear Jet that flew me from Lisbon to Manchester wasn't packed with 150 other players sleeping head-to-toe."

Ronaldo also conceded that, while the slave-master in Roots administered brutal beatings, Man Utd boss Sir Alex Ferguson had nurtured his talent, lavished him with praise and turned him into one of the best footballers in the world.

"But without the freedom to do whatever I want, wherever I want, for whatever fee I want, I am exactly the same as a cotton picker forced to live in a shed, dying at the age of 32."

He added: "I know the people will love my acting. Already, in the streets, I hear many of them calling me 'Kunta'.""

The Daily Mash

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/ronaldo-to-star-in-remake-of-%27roots%27--200807111089

Liverpool buy Robbie Keane for 20M.

Hmm, not so excited about that one, not for that price. Smells like a desperate measure, gotta get someone, anyone in and hope it improves the team. it doesnt make any sense anyway, why get rid of crouch and bring in keane? its a poor trade, plus we lose money on it.

CHELSEA coach Luiz Felipe Scolari believes his team can win all three domestic trophies, the Champions League, University Challenge and Masterchef.

The Brazilian insisted his squad is strong enough to conquer Europe and, for the first time in its history, take the title of best amateur cook in Britain.

He said: "Frank Lampard has developed the most exquisite game terrine with cranberry jam.

"It will make all other food seem weak and badly organised. Let's just hope he doesn't **** off to Inter Milan."

He added: "Deco has been working on marinated rack of lamb in training. It'll get us through the regional heats but it still needs a lot of work."

Chelsea failed to win a trophy last season after finishing second to Manchester United in the Premier League and Europe, and then being edged out by Christ Church College Oxford in the final of University Challenge.

This season Scolari is expected to play Michael Ballack alongside Claudia Pizzarro, combining the German's strength with science quesions and the Peruvian's ability to identify any country just from looking at an outline.

The former Portugal coach said: "If the league schedule permits I'd love Ashley Cole to have a go at Mastermind.

"There is absolutely nothing that boy doesn't know about Rogers and Hammerstein."

Quote:
Wigan Athletic have completed the signing of Lee Cattermole from Middlesbrough. The England under 21 international has signed a three-year deal at the Riverside, after the clubs agreed a fee thought to be close to £3.5 million.

Steve Bruce, the Wigan manager, is convinced Cattermole can be a success at the JJB Stadium.

Cattermole, Cattermole,.... (etc)

On the northwest news this evening someone had sent in a Ronaldo-coloured gingerbread man, complete with right foot in bandage or whatever you call it. The guy presenter ate his head and said that wuz what Sir Fergie will be doing in about a weeks time.

(It was funnier when you saw it.)

Quote:
Robbie Keane teamed up with Fernando Torres at Liverpool and the £19million signing from Tottenham immediately warned Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson: 'It's time we took our title back.'

rollabout

"our" title?
What, the one they have never won?

doh