With temperatures set to soar this week to unseasonable warmth and really nothing in the outlook suggesting a break to this trend I'm starting to think that maybe that's it for this winter. The temp is forecast to reach 7 degrees tomorrow in Kutchan, it's more like mid to late April than early March. In previous years I've known it to briefly warm up at this time only to be followed by a massive dump of powder that ends us providing some of the best skiing of the season, made all the better by the lack of crowds scrambling for freshies. But the current forecast has these warm temps set to continue unabated throughout the coming week with even a bit of rain thrown into the mix. Last season might have been a shocker but in Niseko we ended up having more snow in March (over 1.5m) than we received in Feb. The lowest March snowfall recorded in Kutchan was only 47cm (we've currently had 37cm). We've also recorded up to 346cm previously so March really can rock but it can also suck. This year looks to be the later.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday was interesting in Hakuba. About 15 cm fell overnight. The lower slopes had powder on top of a slushy base. Still hanging out for that one last big powder day. Snow will be good through to May. Afternoon spring sessions in Tshirts with some gourmet food, wine and beers is sounding good to me.

It's just here in the Niseko area GN.

Skied legit, light and dry pow on Monday at Kamui Ski Links (mid thigh), Tuesday at Aashidake (waist), Wednesday at Kurodake (mid thigh), Thursday at Kiroro Ski World (waist) and yesterday at Sapporo Kokusai (waist).

It was snowing off and on all afternoon at Kokusai (more on than off) and dumping when I was driving back past Kiroro last night at 6pm.

Mike it isn't just here mate. I was talking about over the coming week not the one just gone by. We had good snow in Niseko the last couple of days as well. There isn't anywhere in the country though that is escaping the warmth moving in over this coming week. Hokkaido will probably be one of the few places avoiding temps in excess of 10 degrees.

Only interesting TJ?? Yesterday it was dumping and by the end of the day that 15cm turned into bottomless. Had a pretty sick day, especially the last two runs!

Today was great too! Really Nice dry stable powder on all the north faces and incredible weather. Did a two hour hike off the back of Goryu and got some epic stuff. Tried to savour it as it looks like it might be the last powder for a while...

Hopefully we'll get a dump (or two) before the end of March, otherwise its time to switch the brain into Spring touring and park mode.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
Mike you use mini SL skis so your waist deep would be my knee deep,lol.

After breaking one of my SL skis at Kurodake I've been on Elan Magfire's for the past couple of days.

Got a whopping 76mm underfoot and still tickling the belly button ;\)

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Mike it isn't just here mate. I was talking about over the coming week not the one just gone by. We had good snow in Niseko the last couple of days as well. There isn't anywhere in the country though that is escaping the warmth moving in over this coming week. Hokkaido will probably be one of the few places avoiding temps in excess of 10 degrees.

The same thing happened last winter.

01 Mar 07 - 06 Mar 07 saw just 5 cm of snow with one full day of RAIN.

07 Mar 07 - 21 Mar 07 saw snow every day, 180 cm of pow and epic conditions.

Let's hope lightning strikes twice \:\)

It's quite usual to get unseasonaly warm weather when first get into March, usually around 2nd or 3rd week it dumps big time for a few days. I don't think winter is over just yet. Anyway with all the snow we have had this year, skiing will last until may on most if not all the higher resorts and until around April on the lower resorts.

I was up in Fukushima yesterday at Alts Bandai, by the end of the day the lower slopes were like riding on a Slush Puppy!! Up high it was heavy ex-powder, spring conditions from top to bottom. I hope that isn't the end of winter, I was looking forward to a few more weeks of riding

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
76 mate my skis a more that double that at the tip!

Still powder here but you have to know where to look. Great weekend skiing bigline freshies!

Same up here, just small line freshies ;\)

Let's hope not - I am planning another weekend in Hakuba for 22/23 March. I'm sure the top half of Happo'll still be fine then.

Here's hoping for a few more weeks of northerlies. I'd love to have the option to ski in April, even if I'll be too busy with work to go...

Thats sweet, I had planned on a few days out into April as well. Was planning next weekend, but the weather looks terrible, gonna hedge my bets and hope the week after gets colder