• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Niseko has 1 cm next monday forcast but I gather that it will snow a bit more than that. Wont be untill next thursday that the freezing levels come down below 1000 meters. Some really high freeze levels over 2000meters.

I've had my winter. It was a bit of a diss but hell, take the rough with the smooth. Back again next season so see you all then. By the way, first time I skied on ice cubes. Today's bluesky was sooooo nice.

This season when I got "denied" in Niseko, I was at Annupuri. Two seasons ago and the time before, it was Hirafu. I just have really suck luck with Niseko I guess!

I usually go to Sapporo Kokusai, Kiroro, or Onze - really close by for day trips. There's Teine Highland too (didn't go by this season yet). If it's for the weekend, I'd rather hit Rusutsu than Niseko.

I think Nisekkers is quicker/easier to get to - one bus away. It's possible to catch the first bus out of Sapporo and be on the mountain in the afternoon. The last time I went to Asahidake, it was a train into Asahikawa and a bus to the ropeway base - maybe an hour or two further away than Niseko. Furano is even further, but there is a direct bus IIRC.

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
Asahidake still looks good. Maybe elsewhere in the Daisetsuzan-samyaku also. Probably the place to go at this point. It's melting away pretty fast in the whole Southwest of Hokkaido.

\:o mad.gif mad.gif frown.gif cry.gif

Well looks like I called it correctly a couple of weeks back that winter was over. And I meant winter weather, not skiing. Since my initial post we have not received any snowfall accumulation in Kutchan and with nothing forecast it looks like we will break the record for the least amount of snowfall recorded in March.

Besides some snowfalls in higher alpine areas I think the story is pretty much the same throughout the country. Bit of a shame after so many powder days from Dec through Feb but it looks like spring is well and truly here with little, if any chance of a return to wintry conditions.

It'll happen in April or May.

Who knows, we may even have freshies in June. Stranger things have happened in Bree ;\)

And snowforcast is calling for precip Monday night, Wednesday night and Thursday.

Unfortunately the freezing level is 900m

They are now forecasting some snow over the next couple of days. With daytime highs well over freezing though, I don't think it's going to be the best quality and will probably still rain a bit at lower levels. Still any forecast with snow at the moment is an absolute bonus.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Well looks like I called it correctly a couple of weeks back that winter was over. And I meant winter weather, not skiing. Since my initial post we have not received any snowfall accumulation in Kutchan and with nothing forecast it looks like we will break the record for the least amount of snowfall recorded in March.
Besides some snowfalls in higher alpine areas I think the story is pretty much the same throughout the country. Bit of a shame after so many powder days from Dec through Feb but it looks like spring is well and truly here with little, if any chance of a return to wintry conditions.

So are we calling it a good season or just a good Feburary?

It was another season of well below average snowfalls. This said Jan and Feb had below average temps and excellent quality snow and most people who came from Dec through Feb would have gone home with stories of some of the best snow they'd ever skied in their lives. It was quite a shock that March just died like it did. There have been a few times in the past where there were 2 bad seasons in a row and this was generally followed by a big one. So fingers crossed for next year!

Originally Posted By: Mantas

So are we calling it a good season or just a good Feburary?

For people who have lived here longer than I then I guess it is a "poor" season.

I've measured 13.8m of snow outside my house and even if I was overestimating by double (which I'm not) then most mountains around the world would be ecstatic about getting almost 7m of snow.

This is an extraordinary area and people get a bit picky about the snowfall.

March has been disappointing snow falling from the sky wise, AND there have been many perfect days on the hill.