• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: thursday.
nothing a bottle of Suntory whisky or two won't cure. Bottoms up mate.

Try finding some of the regional microbrew Niseko Beer - the "Canadian Ale" and "Black Beer" are tops! The "lager" is just an ordinary lager, but it has a good malty finish.

Didn't go boarding this weekend, the weather was too sunny!! Yesterday I spent the whole day having the first al fresco beers down at the beach!! T-shirts on (not quite shorts, but almost!!) had an absolute ball. Will maybe get out on Thursday to ride!

My buddy and I will be in Niseko March 20-30. We're kind of disappointed with the current weather (huge understatement). Now, just in case no dumps will come, where the hell can we go for at least some challenging groomers?? I assume that Niseko will be kinda boring after a couple of days, if we don't get in the BC... might be wrong..?!

Of course, we are coming for powder, but 1. not being locals, i.e. not knowing the BC or where to find pow 2. intermediate skiers in powder, i.e. not daring (stupid!?) enough to deviate too much from relatively "safe" off piste - what can we do?? Where can we go???

Cheers,

Two very frustrated skiers.

Hanazono has some powder. Not sure by next week.

BC was shut most of the seek due to the fog, not sure next week. Groomers suck big time, not sure next week.

By the way, there's a major dump coming, not sure next week.

niels not sure who you got advice from but finding good powder in Niseko after mid March would always be a big gamble. This year is particularly bad but late March is only rarely epic. There's currently a small possibility of some snow in the last week of March but I wouldn't count on it.

Asahidake has a base altitude of around 1000m and goes up to 1600m by the ropeway and you can get up to 2290m is you're prepared to walk for a couple of hours. Considering Niseko tops out at only 1308m, Asahidake is a much better bet for quality late season snow.

How far away is Asahidake from Niseko? Reachable by public transportation on a say 2-day trip?? Or, might there be any companies arranging such a trip that you guys know of???