• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GYOZA!

So like a home-made version then.   Sounds good to me.

I was avoiding ramen over summer, just too hot, but got back into it the last few weeks. Miso negi. Can't beat it.

McD's is not British.

and while I agree that bread in Japan is shite, bread in the UK is awesome. By your own admission you lived there in the 70's and I don't know how often you go back but things have obviously changed. The main gripe I have is that meat is expensive in the UK. Beef in Oz is so cheap, as a backpacker I regularly ate steak probably more than I have ever eaten steak becasue it was so cheap.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
.....to dismiss pretty much an entire country's cuising is a bit disappointing.

But by doing so, silly and naive as it is, it makes the whole content of what is being said in the same breath not worth considering.
So it's ok I guess.

Long live false stereotypes! wink

Rob,

Brown is the colour of the bread, the ingredient can be something..

loaves - just a shape

Baguette - continental bread smaller in size but bigger than rolls.

Bagels _ jewish, boiled bread

Cibatta, foccacia - Italian.

pumpernickel - continental

Rye - uses rye flour not necessary German.

So, if there is a continental bakery near you in UK, that's cool. But if you don't what do you have. Spongy textured white or wholemeal in different shapes and one kind of rye. probably not even 100% rye. That happens in Japan and Australia.

OK I have German taste buds for bread.

I never dismissed the whole UK cuisine as rubbish. I am interested to hear what you Brits consider as 100% UK original food though.

I said I love Roast and veg and Yorkhire pud. Ox tail and tongue. Take that as a compliment. You have been to Japan and still think traditional UK food is on top, well..

Some tastes are acquired...

Any beef and veg is yummy were ever you go. That doesn't say much. But when you are eating it with Gravox and mustard all the time, what can I say.

TB, I've been around backpackers a lot and you brits just eat meat with mustard Lea and Perrins and tinned baked beans on white toast and spagetti bol. Is that a cuisine?

OK .Lea and Perrins , Branson pickles are great. Thanks for jogging my memory.

To be fair, If you are a vegetarian you will dismiss most food in Germany.

yeah thats right, everything I eat is meat, Lea & Perrins, Mustard, with baked beans on white bread....damn were you at my kitchen table tonight while I was eating?

I never said that UK food was better at all. And yes, I like Japanese food, as much as I like British, Italian, French, Indian etc.

You'll find a lot of German bread is similar to the UK - albeit pumpernickel is unique to German Cuisine - we have exactly the same kind of bread you have in Germany - when I lived in Hanau for a year, I found no discernible difference between a decent German bakery, against a decent British bakery.

British food - cheese. Enough said. Only the French cheeses can compare to the British cheeses.

As you said, tastes are acquired, its just disappointing that you can easily dismiss cuisine, and sum it up with stereotypes. That's something I would expect from your local yokel, who hasn't travelled.

Any back to yummy things

Oden!

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
TB, are you allergic to it?

Tororo Soba is good!

What about.. Kusaya no himono

yeah...mildly. If I eat seafood I throw up most of the time. Sometimes my throat refuses to open and my eyes start to water and bulge...its a very attractive sight!! lol