In Japan net speed is no problem so GB DL is OK. Other countries will catch up eventually.

The online interaction side of games is growing all the time too, so the % of consoles connected to the net will just keep growing and customers will start to demand online DL to get games.

There is no problem with PSP-GO stocking in Japan as far as I know (though I was surprised by that and made the point to the sales clerk cos I bought it in a 2nd game shop and they obviously would be the first victim in all-DL environment). Are shops overseas refusing to stock psp-go?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wonder if they will keep them as they are now or do something with them. Hard to see Game suddenly becoming a success with the way they currently do things. Grim shops. The best bit I saw while I w

The trend is towards capping usage rather than the other way round bobby and seems to be something that will be increasing.

PSPGo - hardly a mad success is it in terms of penetration.

Other countries may do, but we're not talking about speed here. We're talking about the ISP's setting monthly limits on people's traffic. What's the point in going download only, if the limit is set at say 5gig, and a game, on dvd, comes in at 4.8gb? And don't forget blu-ray games can come in at 50gb although I doubt many do, it is possible.

Online gaming and services, such as video on demand are increasing yes, but also look at the costs to the services as well. Xbox live costs around $50 - 70 per year per user. Not per console mind. Per user. And now we have playstation plus coming in at the same amount too. One thing that is holding the playstation service back is that publishers must pay their own online costs for demos etc. that they may wish to publish.

Shops overseas are refusing to stock the PSPGo, it was in the news when it first came out, think some American stores did as well as Australian. Of course the shop guy didn't care if they were selling other gamin products, probably off set the costs of the pspgo selling space.

I am all for DL games, but I just don't see it happening for another 10 - 20 years yet, people are too attached to their property to let it go. And also, looking at these products, another factor is the re-sell value. If you buy a digital product, you can't sell it, even though you paid for it, it is not yours to as you wish. If I buy a game, and complete it and no longer wish to play it again, why can't I sell it? It's my property. Another problem there with digital content.

Quote:
Sony's PSPgo, released in October 2009, got rid of its predecessor's physical UMD drive and went digital download only for game purchases. Though official sales numbers have never been released (which should show us something right there), they're presumed to be less than optimal. Sony believes that this lack of sales means the handheld was successful.

Wait... what? That's according to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe president and CEO Andrew House, who told MCV that the whole point of the PSPgo's release was apparently so Sony could learn. "One of the reasons we launched PSPgo was to understand where consumer behavior was going," he said. "We were getting signals from consumers that this was the kind of device that they wanted. But we need to recognize that consumers like their packaged media library."

He also stated: "It was introduced in a mature life cycle to learn more about what the consumer wanted and we've definitely learned a lot. Is that measured by success in sales? I don't think it is." So basically, the PSPgo's failure to sell matters not due to Sony's successful learning experience. I hope it wasn't a too expensive one.

The ISP thing is a mute point because this has been talked about (and implemented sometimes) for more than 10 years. Anyway even if limits come in then they will obviously allow people to go over the limit for an extra fee.

$50 a year for online membership to teh service is also a non-issue, thats just the price of a game.

The problem is people are not ready for it yet - it is the same with TV over IP, but I think it will change it is just a matter of time. Now I am used to it (pspgo and tv over ip) I have zero interest in owning the media and have it take up shelf space. Even if I lose the resale value.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
The ISP thing is a mute point because this has been talked about (and implemented sometimes) for more than 10 years.

People talk about it quietly? wink

IF anything, the ISP argument is gaining steam. Look at the recent news with net neutrality, mobile phone and ISPs throttling bandwidth.
Now I am used to it (pspgo and tv over ip) I have zero interest in owning the media and have it take up shelf space. Even if I lose the resale value.

Just because you don't, what about the rest of the millions of gamers worldwide?

Explain why the Wii virtual console has also proclaimed to be dying?

People are ready for it, look at Steam and Battle net on the pc.
The ISP thing is a mute point because this has been talked about (and implemented sometimes) for more than 10 years. Anyway even if limits come in then they will obviously allow people to go over the limit for an extra fee.

$50 a year for online membership to teh service is also a non-issue, thats just the price of a game.

Disagree with both of those points.

People are consuming more and more and more bandwidth. It is going to become a more urgent issue. We are going to have to pay more if we want to guzzle up more and more. People might not be prepared for that.

$50 a year for online membership is a big issue with lots of people. Myself included. One reason I got the ps3 actually over the 360.

Whats the outlook on the ISP/bandwidth issue?

We in for much higher charges, perhaps pay more for huge bandwidth (do they actually charge now for heavy use or is it just a threat?)?

psp has skype already, i guess they are planning to make an addon to add mobile phone capability.

i believe psp is much more powerful than android/iphone in terms of gaming capability.

From Engagdet

Quote:
There's no question that gaming on the Android platform has heretofore been relatively underwhelming, but that looks like it's all about to change. It seems that Sony Ericsson -- a company that has yet to even introduce an Android 2.0 device -- is at work on a project to redefine gaming on Google's mobile platform. We now know (via a trusted source) that the company is actively and heavily developing a brand new gaming platform, ecosystem, and device (possibly alongside Google) which are already in the late stages of planning. And we've got the goods on it.

Here's what we can tell you about the hardware: if you're a gaming fan, this is exactly the kind of phone you've been waiting for. The device is described as cross between the Samsung Captivate and the PSP Go -- in other words, it's a landscape slider with game controls in place of the typical QWERTY keyboard. The D-pad is here, but instead of the small joystick, the device will have what was described as a "long touch pad" for analog controls, along with standard PSP buttons and shoulder buttons. The phone has a large display, described as being between 3.7 and 4.1 inches with WVGA or better resolution, a 5 megapixel camera that we're told might not be final, and it'll likely have a 1GHz Snapdragon CPU on board. The phone is mostly black with some silver highlights, and the gamepad area is white / silver in color. Apparently it's currently branded as a Xperia device, but it looks like it will carry PlayStation branding as well. Those who've seen the phone say it looks "pretty damn sexy." The mockup above probably doesn't do the actual hardware justice, but it should give you an idea of what you'll be dealing with.

On the software side, it looks like the device will be running Gingerbread (Android 3.0) with a phone-specific skin, and there will be a new area of the Android Market specifically for the games. That content will be initially accessible only by the halo device, but from the sounds of things, these titles might be made available to other Android phones if their specs and button layouts meet requirements. Games will be graphically in the range of PSX or PSP games, meaning true 3D gaming is headed to Android. Titles currently being shown off seem to be focused around some older PSX as well as new PSP offerings, with God of War, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and LittleBigPlanet possibly on tap, and future plans for titles which incorporate augmented reality features.

In terms of release, it's possible that the phone and ecosystem could be introduced as early as October of this year, but we have yet to confirm.

Right now we're working on getting even more detail about the phone and partnership, but we can tell you now that this is not a random rumor -- we have reason to believe that what we've heard and seen is real and coming to market. It makes perfect sense in a way -- Google gets a much-needed push into the gaming and entertainment space for Android, while Sony (via its partnership with Ericsson) finally delivers the PlayStation phone users have been wanting. We see it as a major win for both companies and the consumer... and we always need another distraction. Stay tuned to this space for updates as we get them, and in the meantime, start socking away the pennies.