1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

It seems lots of Brits and esp. Londoners would prefer not to have the games for whatever reason. I think it's a mix of cost and hassle.

Seems that London were being a bit naughty dissing the Paris stadium. Naughty.

Agreed with Toque though - the Winter Games is what we want!

Paris is the favorite but apparently favorites rarely win. It's the ability of a campaign to sweep up the votes of the people backing campaigns of cities knocked in the voting process that is the key.

I personally do not care.

I know someone in London though who does care a lot - if they get the Olympics his company will be very busy and with tons of work for in the coming years, so he's probably feeling very dokidoki right now.

Athens wasn't very pleased about the Olympics when it was all over. Predictably. The Olympics has a wonderful way of leaving that buggered feeling for the local news while it sweeps onto the next venue carrying the world's media with it (often lead by the idiotic sports media).

In my office floor area, which has a lot of people in an open space (approx 350 people) the most common cry of joy when London won and Paris lost was "Yes! We beat them" rather than "yes! We are going to host the olympics".

And to emphasise that you told us twice even! (I bet you even had a few alternatives one-liners prepared for whatever the outcome was, didn't you).

Anyhows, I think it's obviously a case of London winning over Paris in the last vote due to London being superior in these fields:

- cuisine (including bread);

- beer;

- lack of people with big French fries on their shoulders.

lol.gif

Most Brits did not even imagine they had a chance of winning this, thats perhaps one of the reasons for the relative lack of interest and a reason why people are so surprised that Paris did not win. Shock.

I for one am well chuffed (personal reasons).

everyone in my office went absolutely nuts when it was announced. i'm not really sure why, cos no one said a word about it until today.

gonna be a big party tonight in trafalgar square tonight though

One liner:

Great that London won as it can only improve the town, where as an Olympic event would diminish Paris. Once it came down to P v L, I was 100% hoping for a London victory. Why in gods name Paris ever wanted the games anyway is beyond me.

I couldn't give a care about the Olympics, but I would liked to have seen NY win.

Everyone seems very happy about it and no doubt it'll be good for some people's pockets, but it's not really what Britain needs. Not when you've got schools selling their playing fields to supermarkets and an explosion in obesity, esp. among the less well-off. The lack of grass roots facilities is more important than national stadiums.

Sebastian Coe was dismissive of the last British Olympic bid by Manchester in the late 1980s. He said that the bid wasn't serious because it wasn't from London. Patriotic? my arse! He's an complete knob.