when i was there last summer it got up to 38. ive lived in singapore, hong kong, and sydney and tokyo is the worst heat ive been in. its hot, humid, and there are 18 million other people feeling the same way. the heat is definetley for me a detterent to go out, especially on the train. i like my personal space and the train in the middle of summer definetly isnt the place to get it. one big mass of sweaty bodies.

you certainly get some hot days like amandanism mentions. But I do not think that it gets THAT hot. Nor THAT humid. It is good honest hot weather, over 30 degrees most days. But the Japanese will have you believe that it is the hottest, most humid corner of the Earth. For a country so far from the equator it gets decent humidity, but nothing compared to what I have felt closer to the equator.

As was mentioned, the killer is the lack of respite. It is a crappy cement city with no sea breeze or shade/trees. There is aircon outlets blasting everywhere and of course the ant farm style crowds.

The absolute temp is not that bad, but given that you can't even visit the beach after work, it really gets you down after a while. Peak hour trains are to be avoided at all costs.

In all, it is a nice honest summer, but it is totally wasted. A city like this is not very pleasant even at modest summer temps.

I think that the summer in Tokyo is hotter than the winter is cold though.

Whilst on weather patterns, do not run out and buy a raincoat for the so called rainy season. I have only one to go by (last years) but if that is a rainy season then it is the product of the greatest marketing ploy ever devised. It rains a little more than normal, but that is about all. Every city I have ever lived in gets a stretch of crap weather, they just don't get excited about it.

Well here's my take....

It is usually over 35 degrees and very oppressive, very uncomfortable. The fact that I have to wear a suit and climb on trains in the rush hour makes it all the worse.

I went interviewing in Tokyo in a suits several times in the summer, and by the time I had walked from the subway to the company, my light blue shirt was dark blue with sweat, and I could feel the sweat literally streaming down stomach and pooling around my belt.

I also took to wearing lycra running shorts under my suits when I went to Tokyo to stop my sweat-sodden trousers from chafing my thighs raw.

(Suits are always plural in Japan) ;\)

Oh yes, it's hot n' humid here...

well while ive got to agree with a couple o' your points there deebster, i dont know if i can go all the way.

My memory of the rainy season is much wetter. (perhaps because of my initial refusal to use an umbrella), and while i have spent cummulatively well over 7 months in tropical heat (N WA, N Qld, SE Asia) at all times of the year, i gotta back up the dism and say jappers is the worst.

this could be in large part related to the already alluded to psychological factors, and tis true that a swim in cool gorge in 43 degrees eases the stress remarkably. But whatever the case, i am a boy who digs the heat, yet can be very uncomfortable when the blessed aqua relief cannot be had, and this is japan in nutshell... for me this leads to freaksville. (Nb. i have not had the privilege of air conditioning in my home and this may bias my impression)

so summa gets two enthusiastic thumbs down from me, although this year im gonna try and enact more frequent submersion therapy for the soul.

I doesnt matter which is hotter. you wont be playing too alot of sports under that sun without alot of water. Its humid and youll sweat. I hate Asia in the summer. PS hike a mountain over 1500 feet to ecsape the heat. But wear sunscreen you cant feel the sun. Better yet where light long sleves.

Summer sucks here!( nagoya) I am one who loves summer like most but in a dry climate! june-august its almost impossible to enjoy normal activities because of the humidity. Its not really that hot like our 43+ degree summer dayz in Southern Oz but it feels like it. And with every single person (j crew) screaming "atsuii ne" over and over again it bring you head into a state where you come to believe that it really is!

If we had a nice arvo sea breeze it would sure make this place bearable but ..... we don't!

Indosm, I hear Nagoya really sucks! I feel for you....summer's just around the corner. Tokyo sucks maybe a little less but nonetheless sucks in summer. Tohoku not too bad \:\)