I went to a wedding last year. A gaijin fella that lives in my area and one of the local gals. Now I dont know this guy super well, nothing against him but hes just into different stuff to me really, but he wanted me to come to his wedding to interpret for his family that were coming out. I said ok, you know do the guy a favour etc. The wedding was about 4 months later and as it turned out it was a 3 day weekend so I was stuck at my place solo all weekend while my mates all went to a huge rave that I was jonesing to get to and on top of all that I had to pay 2man to attend, and interpret shit and chat to the old geezers in the guys village and put up with his asshole younger bro being seedy. BOLLOCKS.

Karma though, its gotta get back to me sometime, sometime. The food was pretty good though.

Good experience! if ya get a chance to go to one- GO.

yeah, it`ll cost ya- going rate 20,000- theres no two ways about that, but it`s only money.

tha one i went to has held at a `wedding centre`- ceremony and reception at tha same place. tha chapel was pretty impressive in a `fake` kinda way. uno, plastic stained glass, faux bluestone building, even tha `minister` was fake! i.e. not his day-time job.

tha food was amazing- as you`d expect! there was a lot `o B.S. assocciated with the reception- cake cutting, champagne glass pyramid filling-up. speeches, speeches and more speeches. all tha usual suspects got up and gave speeches- bosses, father, best friends. then anyone who wanted to got up and either gave a speech, sang karaoke or did an act. I got up and played guitar and sang a song- badly!

when you leave you`ll be given a present. then everyone usually breaks off into their little groups. i.e. family will go off together, workmates will go somewhere else together, etc.

i really enjoyed it and if i had a chance to go to another one, i would.

only bad point was, me ex. was present, and she looked beeaaauuudaful!

20,000???

in Nagoya the going rate for 1 is 30,000 and 50,000 for 2!

I have stopped going unless its for close close friends.

I didn't even give my own family that much for their presents!

I went to one in Osaka last year with my GF's family. There i am, sitting quietly, having my dinner, trying not to look too conspicuous as the only Gaijin in the place, when they hand the microphone to me and ask me to make a speech. I hadn't even met the lovely couple but obviously the "MC" thought it would be "cute" to have the gaijin say a few words.

Not much you can say really when you don't know their names.

I honestly didn't know about the money paying bit.....i bet the GF paid without telling me knowing she'd get an earful if she asked for a contribution. I will be asking some questions tonight!

Just got married in Japan. We had a Western-style Japanese style- thing going on - to make everyone happy. It went well, but cost a fortune (for everyone involved it seemed), took an amazing amount of organisation, and we have happy memories of it all.

We had a small japanese one at Kamigamo jinja. Didnt cost all that much I think we broke even or cleared a bit. We only forked ou 700000 man at the max. It was fun but you dont get to practise the ceremony so its easy to f up.

weddings are a rip off, you fork out 10-40000yen and get a cheesy gift and some tasty food....but!!! if you get a chance go the ni ji kai = second party.

This can be a riot! its like a stag party + hen party combined after the wedding and reception, with lots of embarassing games, stories and merrimaking. I really enjoy these!

Quote:
Originally posted by BagOfCrisps:
What for? And depending on what? Is it an admission charge?!?! eek.gif
Kind of, its part a money gift to the bridal couple, part booze and expensive food fee, part to pay for the gift YOU get given back at the end of the wedding, part to pay for gifts that are given out during reception games.
Different ratios and allocation for different weddings. If the wedding is extravagant with amazing food being held in an amazing place and you get an amazing gift back, expect to shell out a huge wedding "token"

the money is 10000 30000 or 50000 never give something that can be divided into an even number.

We had a wedding then a party at nice restaurant. We asked are friendsto give or not give anything just come. My friends whose weddings I went to helped out and gave money. alsofamily gave alot. We also got some nice presents and one sh ty vaccum. If you take the time to plan it you can break even here. (of course the monster wedding is an exception).

We went to the city hall and handed the papers to some security guards who were the only people there as it was a public holiday. Then we got a stranger to snap a photo of us hugging outside the building. The groom wore board shorts and the bride jeans-it was fun and we thought it was pretty romantic in it's own way with just us involved. And the best thing about it was that it cost exactly zero yen. One of these days we'll have a party to celebrate being married I guess but it'll be very informal and we won't be skinning the guests for their hard earned cash.

The boardies are olive green-it was a wedding after all. No Ocean I just live in a quasi communist country where the party bosses have lost track of their 5 year plan. The last 2 elaborate weddings I went to ended up in divorce within a few years.So it ain't the style but the substance that counts IMO.