It seems it's possible that you can be anti a country and all its people, food and beverages, culture, and politics. However, of all the countries in the world, it's only possible to be anti-American. Haiti, Canada, Uzbekistan - sorry, but nobody can be anti you.

So, are you anti-American?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well it seems that most things american: food, beverages, politics, culture etc. have diffused into most other countries and cultures aswell. so most people would find it impossible to be totally anti american. there are obviously aspects of "america" that i dont agree with, but the same could be said for any country.

People who aren't American and who have been accused of being 'anti-American' might enjoy this.

It might also stimulate some interesting discussion on what the bloody hell people who say this sort of shit think they're talking about...

What do you think danz?

This is a very complicated issue for me. I'm an american, I don't hate america, or american people, but the US has fundamental problems that I can't see as being solved anytime soon.

American culture, the government, the economy.

I could probably write 10 pages about this... but... I wont.... coz I'm a lazy american. ;\)

I'm not anti-American. I think it would be very close minded of anyone to flat out say i hate America or i'm anti American, or any other country for that matter.

There may be certain things about the culture, people etc that you don't like or agree with, but does that make you anti-American? Just because you don't like certain aspects? Or are you considered anti- American only if you hate everything about the country?

I think this thread could get pretty darn ugly (but entertaining!)

I might be missing the point here, but...

I think you are missing the point of Ocean11s original post.

He is simply trying to point out how absurd labelling some "anti-American" is if they just disagree with something, however small.

Am I right O11, or am I missing the point?

I must admit, I didn't even see who posted it...just saw the heading and replied blindly...which is stupid...

i should have known better...especially having come from O11, you arrogant snob \:D

but seriously, there are some people (here on this board as well) who are not blatantly "anti-american", but always seem to jump on any chance they can get to rat on america...this type of post, when i brashly replied, only encourages that type of behaviour...I have read some absurd stuff on here that sounds suitable for tabloids and not real thought (O11, I know you are a stickler for hard evidence, so I appologize for not providing any...I am also a lazy american, and I don't like finger-pointing either \:\) )...it is not disagreement that I have a problem with, I like that, it is the rationale behind many peoples reason for disagreeing that I find boardering on "anti-american"...it is disagreement for the sake of disagreement...if america does it it must be wrong/bad type of mentality...

most people on this board do not think that way, in fact I am always impressed by the level of debate on this site, but I do not put it past the general internet reading public (not that I have any idea what the demograph of the lurkers on this site are like...)

anyway...my .02

danz

Quote:
but seriously, there are some people (here on this board as well) who are not blatantly "anti-american", but always seem to jump on any chance they can get to rat on america
...but for the most part they are not ratting on America as you put it, just certain policies etc. Again, isn't that the ironic meaning of the original post and question posed?

(If I am not making any sense, I'll say I'm drunk).

Ocean, clear it up will ya?!

welll...the point I was trying to make is the people who love to disagree with anything american boarderline anti-american in my book...they can say "but I am not anti-american, just against this and this and this..." all they want, but it seems to me that sometimes their motives are much rawer (or more raw?? damn I suck at english...) than the reasons/rationale they pretend to exude...

danz

As someone else said above, I don't think most people give a shit - they are just saying what they think - and that always seems to hit a raw nerve with USers for some reason.

I really personally couldn't give a monkeys if anyone either praises or disses my country, and I would certainly never be as embarrassing as to call someone who did "anti-" me and my country.

Anyway I'm offline for the rest of the day, looking forward to how that developes.

xxx, sorry to trouble your drunken brain with my ironic shite... \:D

I was annoyed by something that cropped up in the Heroes thread. I was careful to lump in the UK with the US as they are allies in this war and bear equal responsibility (although I think the hero-worshipping and ego-wielding of the US military exceeds that of the UK military by a long way). But even so, I was accused of being 'anti-American'.

This is ridiculous on a number of levels. Defining what 'American' is is nearly impossible, even more so what the 'anti-' might be. It's both infantile and self-pitying, as well as very grandiose - the individual who is being debated can identify themselves completely with 'America', whatever that is, and can then evade the discussion entirely by saying 'you're against my country, and so are not...' something or other. It's also very McCarthy-era sounding, and the person accused is then either required to deny the ridiculous assertion, or confirm it, which is impossible for a rational person to do. (I only gave one choice on the poll to mimic and reflect the unfairness of the accusation itself.)

It's a very bullying tactic to use in a debate, and it's continued use is another factor that is harmful to the image of the US abroad. None of my American friends would ever think of using it.

Thanks. I spent a lot of today chewing over the oddities of this question in my mind.

In as much as 'American' includes a lot of potential good things too, mindlessly assuming that a critical person is 'anti-American' is also quite offensive.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
it's only possible to be anti-American. Haiti, Canada, Uzbekistan
I'll just add that "anti-Israel" gets nearly 50,000 hits on Google. "Anti-Semitism" is also an easy accusation to make of criticism of Israel.

whoa heavy, man, i dont want to go against the grain but although i share agreement with many here, i have to say i have anti-american tendendancies, based on a broad generalisation of american public attitudes and policy.

however, i have never disliked someone i have met because they were american. in fact, the americans i meet are often pretty cool. yet i am quick to condemn those i havent met in a way that will irritate those whom i am quick to condemn. having said that, (and whilst qualifying, i believe in the general goodness of all individuals regardless of distinction)i am pretty down on people collectively - from a planetary perspective - and the developed world as subgroup, and so on... the american bit is just an additional grouping with special american connotations.

this is not really an unexpected attitude for myself or others that choose to accept or deny it... it stems from the perceived arrogance and misuse of power. not uncommon traits of powerful nations, as history will attest. and the nature of the attitude, while it can most definitely be self defeating in the short term, will begin to see change as the reasoning behind it becomes accepted and understood.

(i think this is evident in speaking to some americans who totally appreciate where this feeling comes from and identify it as a weak point of america)

the trick then, is not to be irrationally anti american in a bigotted way - and i see little evidence of that here.

so to the americans who feel the pressure of 'anti-americanism' unless u r sure u dealing with an unthinking bigot, try to ascertain where such a sentiment is coming from, and i think u will find at least some of it will be rationally founded.

**ps i consider some of u yanks out there as friends in a kind of not necessarily recipricotated cyber impersonal dude i could have a chat with kinda way \:\) **

pps i totally agree with oceans appraisal, and would be quite annoyed to be labelled as anti-american in a such a manner. i label myself as anti-american as i label myself as anti-consumerism, and am consistently trying to be aware of and admit to any hypocrisicies in my behaviour, for i am, most surely, not perfect myself.

these Americans are obviously anti-australian.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/01/1051382046647.html

On a serious note, here is a potential kicker for America:

OPEC, Iraq and Iran are thinking about switching to the Euro Dollar as the denomination in which they price their commodity (oil). If this happens the USA will no longer be able to enjoy no-currency-risk oil imports. If this happens then it will be seen as distinctly anti-american. US$ dominance of the global economy may well come to an end, particularly in terms of currency value. The US$ is already soft and will probably get a lot softer. This will be seen as anti-american