Do you practice any Japanese Martial Arts?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some dojo(judo schools) are very famous for training olympic athlete.

Who runs the dojo? Koga, Yoshida, Saito?

Yoshida Hidehiko has a dojo in Setagaya Umegaoka.

cool.gif

Scouser

In 1974 The UK beat Japan at Karate the main man at the time was a man called Danny Connors he is a scouse and there were one or two scousers on the team at the time. There is also a famous club in liverpool now.I bet you did not Know that \:D \:D \:D

• 1 month later...

Kyokushin and Seidokaikan are known as the hardest styles of Karate, their curriculums are similar. They come from (originally) a guy called Masatatsu Oyama, he synthesised Thai, Capoeria, Western boxing and Japanese Karate into his own style (Kyokyushin).

The lesson will include kihon (traditional karate basics) some technique practise which will leave you thinking 'wow! I can really use that in a street situation!!' and finally full contact sparring!!

Have fun!!

Go-shiteki arigato gozaimasu. Hontou ni sankou ni narimasu.

Don't encourage me to be wild. You won't be popular you know. ;\)

I thought you were going to Thailand anyway slow. Where's me omiyage?

• 4 weeks later...

Taekwondo is a korean martial art, and yea I think its mostly about kicking, but I don't think it's known to be a very strong or useful style in "real world" situations.

I'm still looking for a ju-jitsu school in tokyo, and it seems like ju jitsu dojos are rare in japan.... weird being that this is where it comes from! I'm now thinking about trying "shooto" or shootfighting which is supposedly a modern day ju jitsu... dunno yet though. either that or just join a regular gym....

• 2 weeks later...

MistaSparkle,

I'm keen for a bit of Jujitsu action myself. A few friends back in Tasmania used to be right into it and it looked pretty handy. If you find out anything then let me know. I'll do likewise. Eigo-friendly would be a plus.

I've been doing taekwondo now for about 8yrs (instucting 4 the last 2)...and have tried karate, ninjitsu and hapkito...albiet limited experience in those three.

i think doing any martial art provides you with the ability to react in situations....instead of standing there stunned...meaning you "keep your cool." - and are better able to read the opponent.

every art has it's strengths and weaknesses....and for every attack there is a possible counter....

if you are thinking of taking up a martial art, go for it!! anything is better than nothing but, know that the real learning and understanding of fighting only begins at black belt.

don't expect to be jet lei overnight!

ps. taekwon do is 90% kicking 10% punching - hapkito(steven segal type shite) is it's compliment

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetaz:
... hapkito(steven segal type shite) is it's compliment
I'm pretty sure Steven Segal practices Aikido. Funny you should mention him though... I just saw him on the news this morning meeting with Koizumi!

Dims - I've only half-assed searching for a jujitsu dojo on the internet, but I do plan to get moving by this fall... I'll deff let you know if I find one.