• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's related so let me link this question to this thread: Do New Zealanders mind being called kiwi's? British...Brits? American's...well I don't know wakaranai.gif Any others?

I don't think we have to be too tender with our cousins down under.

We get called pomes, the Americans get yanks or septics, and what do they get in return for these derrogatory slanders....

Yes, that's right, the cute, endearing 'aussie' or 'kiwi' both terms self respecting antipodeans carry with pride...

How do they get away with it... confused.gif

Miteyak, I haven't heard septics. Aussie is used commonly w/in the surfing community...and definitely not as a slight. 'Yanks' is easy to swallow..no problem. What is septics and who says it? Curious..

well i think kintaro we have covered this topic before about "septic" in another thread.... i used it and upset a lot of sensitive people, people who dont like unsolicited comments...

but here we go

septic/seppo = septic tank = yank = full of you know what

Lama..thanks. Didn't read your previous thread and am not upset. I'm just curious, is this your term or do many people use this? First time I've heard it, that's all..

yeah i think its a colloqual term that strictly non-americans use. most people know what is means though!!

pure hilarity (as homer would put it!!)

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
We get called pomes, the Americans get yanks or septics, and what do they get in return for these derrogatory slanders....
Yes, that's right, the cute, endearing 'aussie' or 'kiwi' both terms self respecting antipodeans carry with pride...
How do they get away with it...
Bloody whinging pom....... dork.gif
;\)

Exactly Lama, "seppo" is a term that we do use to describe Americans. We just do. Thats the way it is. English people are "poms". New Zealanders are "sheep rooters". Thats just modern colloquial Australian English.

Quote:
Originally posted by woywoy:
Exactly Lama, "seppo" is a term that we do use to describe Americans. We just do. Thats the way it is. English people are "poms". New Zealanders are "sheep rooters". Thats just modern colloquial Australian English.
awfully brave words there from a country of "sheepshaggers" with more sheep than NZ and more remote places ;\)

I'm new to your "seppo" term. Funny AND smart! I guess it's kind of like calling a mid-easterner a "raghead" or an African a "spear chucker" or a Jew a "kike". I guess you have fun w/this. Tell me, do grown-ups use this too..or is it limited to the lame and immature?

You got it, Kintaro, hence my comments earlier...

Bit rude, methinks...

So anyway, any of you ANTIPODEANS care to address the issue, ie. why you refer to Northern brethren with slights, while we ply you guys with respect?

Not an insecurity thing, is it? ;\)

whats wrong with being a pom?

is there some hidden meaning in this i am yet to hear????

i thought pom would be classed as aussie or kiwi, in nickname categories.

u get called whinging poms...but thats cos u whinge so much! :p

i have been labelled both pom (when i first went to oz) and aussie. but my whinging side is definitlety english ;\)

Oh boy, here I go....what's a pom? I honestly don't know. I didn't mean to incite an online riot here w/ my question. I don't have any derrogatory names for UK's, NZ's or OZ people in my vocab. Honest..nor Canadians for that matter...other than kanuks (is that a bad word?) The closest I can come to is kiwi..hence my question: is it derogatory? who was it that said "why can't we all just get along"?

kintaro, where have you been hiding? U have never heard Seppo or septic?

Call us aussie what ya like, I think we have thicker skin and can take tha crap a bit better than....

you seem to be the most sensitive on this topic!

In nz most ppl dont know septic, pretty much anyone that surfs knows seppo though cos of aussie surf mags.

always wondered where seppo came from - now I know.

Still dont know where pom came from - thats just what brits are called.