Jogging gaijin stopped by the police

Anyone had to write the "gomen" letter yet? It's soooo funny. You write it and everything is OK again.

I had to do it for Saitama-ken 2 years ago. I must say it's Cheaper than a defense attorney and you can do it in English if you must. They just gotta hear the gomen.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always carry my gaijin card-even when jogging cause a lot of police are fat arses and fat heads to boot, so they can't understand the concept of jogging to keep fit. Often though I'm out later and realize I've left it in my jogging shorts. I don't like having to cart it around but do it to avoid having jerk-offs waste my time.

I know plenty of people who have been detained until a friend could bring it or a passport along. Wasn't some English guy arrested and ket in jail for a week during the World Cup because he'd left his passport at his hotel. They should have a big sign at the airport warning people but they don't. It's considered common sense amongst many travellers not to carry your passport around if you can leave it at a hotel safe or somewhere secure like that. I do laugh when the Govt states that it wants to boost foreign tourist no.s by 100% or whatever over the next 10 years. Unlikely while such shitty official attitudes exist in my opinion.

Having to keep your passport on you at all times is rediculous. Most countries ask you to if your foreign but if its lost or stolen the hassle to get it back would be horrible.

I was in Northern Russia last year and was instructed to have my passport on me at all times. I refused because on every street corner the Russian Mob is there doing there bussiness. Japan is a safe country though. What is this

Gaijin Card everyone speaks of? Is it like your work visa?

ILTS,

Its like having a driving license or something back home that has all your information on it - and up until the last few years, they even have/had your fingerprint on it. Mine still does. Geeze, feel like a criminal all ready? That you should keep on you as much as possible just in case.... But, there are exceptions - Chise house might be an example \:D

In 6years here I have never been asked for it, even when being pulled over by the pigs or going into the station to see my speeding photo! If they did ask me for it I would tell them that I have only just arrived or leaving next week. Usually they will let you go, but if then they ask to see your passport you are stuffed!

Sounds like some areas the pigs are less gaijin friendly??

I never carry my gaijin card!

Is anyone elece mildly concerned that the orange's last post was this one and he seems to have dissapeared off the face of the earth.

what did they do to him???

I'm sure theOrange is in custody by now. . . I always new that guy was rotten. . . Never trusted him for a second, and with tales of jogging without a passport, well that just confirms my suspicions.

I saw his post on the baby names thread, I wonder why he has left off on this topic ? ? ?

Really sorry about the delay - lots of speculation as to my fate appearing here...thanks for the concern!

Anyway, the story isn't perhaps as exciting as it could have been.

I did go to the police that night - with my gaijin card, not my passport. They were actually very friendly and explained that there had been a robbery the night before and that they were asking to see ID of quite a few people. When I explained to them about the passport/gaijin card thing, they said they meant the gaijin card but couldnt communicate well enough with me, and passport is the word I heard , the easiest to understand.

So it just took a few minutes, very friendly, no bad feelings and if anything they were apologetic about it all.

Thats how it went.

As for my jogging - its still going very well thanks. Im now doing about 6km a night in about 30 minutes, no stopping and my body feeling much better for it. I'Ve lost quite a bit of weight too - everyone can tell. Hoping to continue with it for another 7 weeks or so.

Gambarimasu!

It does beg the question, however:

Jogger is thief - gives a false name, and proclaims his willingness to go to the station the next day, then is on his merry way...

Jogger is not thief - appears the next day with card

soooo... thief doesn't appear, one copper turns to the otjher... told you so... wakaranai.gif

I had a little run in with the fuzz this weekend. I was riding my bicylcle with a friend standing on pegs on the back of the bike. We rode past a koban, and then she got off, and I started to lock up my bike. This little police guy came marching over all red in the face barking "Abunai! dame!" He continued to carry on about how 2 people on a bike is dangerous, then looked at my bike and started scribbling something down on a pad. In the midddle of his absurd tirade, I just shrugged my shoulders and walked away. wakaranai.gif

The police are completely pointless here.

The Orange, why are you going to stop jogging in 7 weeks? Why not just knock it down to a sustainable level of 3 or 4 times a week and do it forever - that way you wont need to go through the pain of starting again or being at square one again and youll live 20 years longer.