Omiyage is a gift. It is usually given on return from just about any trip you ever go on (in your Japanese life). It could also be a visit to someone's house, etc, where you bring a bottle of wine, etc.

It's a thoughfull tradition but I wish the whole omiyage idea would end. It is sooooooooo troublesome that every time you travel you must spend the time to get everyone you know (practically) a little insignificant gift.

I've spent full days on trips to like Thailand or Hawaii buying everyone I know in Japan omiyage!

Sorry, that's just my opinion :rolleyes:

eek.gif Pervs!

What gets me is those services where you can order omiyage from a specific country, from a Japanese company, and have them delivered to your door in Japan the day you get back. So no need to buy omiyage overseas. (Probably why most omiyage is the same!)

Talking about "little snacks", I have found the shopping centre at Chitose Airport in Hokkaido to be an omiyage shopper's heaven (or hell depending on which way you look at it). They have such a good variety of yummies which they not only package beautifully but also invite you to try out (this is where I learnt "tabete kudasai"). I always get suckered into buying much more that I can carry onto the plane and have a tough time going through security.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's the old "here's some money and have a great time - but don't you DARE forget to buy me a present worth at least 10,000 yen" strategy.

A strategy that doesn't usually work with the gaijins!! lol.gif

• 3 weeks later...

One of my Japanese friends just came back from a trip to Kyushu. Apart from the usual manju type gifts he bought me a keyring that he says was some kind of speciality of the place he was at. It is - so he tells me - made from cows scrotum. eek.gif It looks ok, but I'm intrigued as to the story behind all that. I'll have to try and find out the name of the place.

• 1 year later...

Someone brought some cool omiyage back from Hokkaido the other week in the shape of skis. I can't remember exactly where they were from, I'll see if the box is still there. Nice they were too.

I try to go for the gross-out strategy when i buy omiyage. When i was down in Kyushu, i brought back baby salted dried crabs and squid beaks (apparently, the meat around the beak is the best part) to my Eikaiwa in Hokkaido. But they liked it.

I've been given the choco breasts before. The person who brought them for me said she thought I'd really like them. Curious comment I thought, I never really worked that woman out...