Mu living quarters are not big enough to even warrant calling the toilet a sperate room! Therefore no slippers. Besides eing the only one living there if I can exhaust from my system without a quam then I don't see what harm standing on any misdirected flight of urine or the like can do to my body once its out.

People really need to get over this loo phobia thing.

Christ the loo is probably one of the cleanest places in anyones house for all the worrying and subsequent cleaning done over it being a dirty and bacteria ridden area!

Before worrying about slippers in the bathroom move your toothbruch a good 3 metres from the toilet! Dem bacteria really do fly upon fulsh apparently!

I love that ad where the bearded foreigner (I think he's supposed to be German with a background in the SS) pokes around in a Japanese woman's toilet with a cotton bud and then procedes to show her the invisible life swarming all over it. Aghast, she sprays the toilet with the Zyklone B he has brought with him. Then he puts his finger in the toilet, makes a squeaky noise, and looks both proudly and suggestively at the housewife who is overwhelmed with joy. You can tell this man isn't English, because we know you're not supposed to put your fingers in the toilet.

The best thing about toilet slippers is wearing them in places other than the toilet, and then pretending you can't understand why everybody has gone nuts. Next time I go to a place with toilet slippers, I'll have to try the Aryan squeak test using one of the slippers instead of my fingers.

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
Trivia-there are less harmful bacteria on yer toilet bowl than in the sink...
That is good news as I have been seen pissing in my sink in the past when drunk and the dunny is busy. So in effect, I was making my sink cleaner, not dirtier.

(For all visitors to my house in Tokyo, panic not, the sink peeing was in Sydney. However it must be noted that these Japanese height sinks are perfect for pissing in....)

IceEiji: I have no problem wearing the same shoes in the street as I do in the kitchen as I do in the loo, so no need for toilet slippers for me. Perhaps if I ate, slept and ironed my clothes on or very near to the floor then I would be understandably different in my shoe habits.

The only legitimate use I can think of for toilet slippers is for kicking the sloppy turds usually found on the back of those 'Japanese style' toilets, back into the trough, in those crises when you absolutely have to use one. It never ceases to amaze me how nobody has yet noticed how it's nearly impossible to use one of those toilets without getting yourself and the surroundings filthy. A nice firm toilet slipper can be used as a spatula for the grosser aspects of the preliminary cleanup.

(Off topic, sorry -- but I love the ignorance that leads Japanese to think that their primitive, stupid, and unhygienic toilets are in some way worthy of the title 'Japanese style'.

More off topic -- I went to the hospital for skateboard injuries and osteoporosis the other day, and was saddened to see lots of old and damaged people trying to get about in slippers that were either too big or too small. As if getting about when you're crippled isn't hard enough without being hobbled too. I noticed that it was easy enough to walk barefoot on the parquet floor, but two different old ladies with advanced hip damage shuffled up to me and tried to press rancid slippers on me, like some rare artifacts of a civilization to which I should aspire. I even felt guilty entering the hospital barefoot knowing in advance that a similar scene was likely, and that old, broken ladies would be disappointed.)

I like the Japanes toilets well enough for a good refreshing dump, and I've not missed the target yet. Though it's plain to see many others have.

As for the slippers, I always wonder if the ones forced upon you at public places harbor the plantar wart virus. Especially slippers that are still warm from the last customer.

You're probably better off wearing socks to protect your feet, on those days when you may end up having to put your dogs into those horrible public slippers.

I worry about warts and foot fungus in onsens too. I suppose one could bring flip-flops and wear those around, except inside the bath itself.

Ever had to have a wart frozen off your foot? It usually takes several painful visits, each with about 5-7 days of blistered agony as the thing fills with pus and blood, then bursts inside your shoes.

Socks. An easy way to avoid this fate.