Do you spend a bit more and buy eggs from birds that aren't cooked up all their life in a cage the size of a shoe box, or do you spend a bit more and buy free range eggs from 'happier' birds?

There's a lot of fuss going on right now about eggs - see the news last night?

Did you see those poor chicken dudes all cooked up in their little boxes. I hate seeing that. mad.gif mad.gif I'll pay a bit more to give them a bit of space.

This may be a dumb question, but how can you tell? I don't read much Japanese, so I'm not sure what is free-range and what is not. In the states I made a point of buying mostly free-range products. Out here, I can't tell the difference.

A good FR egg tastes only about 100 times better anyway. Spend more, get better egg and happy chickens.

The eggs I like to buy have a little pink heart sticker on each egg with a smiley chicken on it.

does anyone want to do the leg-work and find an image of this happy chicken? i went to the supa yesterday, tried to find the elusive happy sticker, and ended up buying 10 for 78 yen because I couldn't find it anywhere. but i like happy chicken stickers, and yummy eggs. \:\)

i hears ya.

my local before sold 'em happy chicken eggs, and i bought 'em.

but now the GF does all the shopping (cos i, um, do all the forum work) and none out of our 3 nearest supermarkets sell free range.

i refused to believe this when i was first told, but alas it is true. and the extra effort to find the free rangers is not offered.

The thing that I find disturbing is the way people I ask just don't seem to care or feel bad about what is done to the hens - even if they see footage of a hen facrory. Lots of apathy, I find that real cold.