yes. One upstairs in between my 2 big rooms.

I can't really see the tatami because theres about 40 surfboards and wrapping all over it!

When I go home we are putting a Tatami room is for Japanese dinind/entertaining

I love tatami room.

My grandma's house is really cool. Very traditional Japanese house and huge. They say it's not so comfortable, very cold in winter and hot in summer. And they have to use a lot of money to maintain it.

If my grandma gives me that house, I will remodel it and live comfortably.

And I love Temple tatami rooms, too! When I sit in the main building of a temple, I always think "I want to live here!" It could be a little bit scary to sleep in there.

Looks like the only real use for a Tatami room is as a storage room or a computer room from the likes of these commments.

I sitck by my opinion that Tatami rooms are a waste of money when you consider that they are lucky is they get used for their actual purpose and when they do it is very few times a year. In addition they smell bad time when laid new, and cost a crap load to replace. Mine is getting a wooden flooring hat!

My last apt had tatami, and I liked having the experience, but given the choice, I wouldn't go for another one agian. Everything you own ends up smelling like the stuff, 'specially if you like sprinkling your clothes all over the floor... which I'm a big fan of. On the other hand, they definitely keep your room warmer in the winter than hardwood.

Oooooh, :rolleyes: , that brings back a bad experience.

When I first came here I had a small tatami room, went out on a bender and came back. I'd drunk tons so was flat out until the next morning. I woke up with a blinding headhammer and the most disgusting smell.

Seems I had been vomitting and also something I had eaten the previous day had given me the runs.

Can you imagine the state of my tatami? eek.gif eek.gif (I can laugh about it now)

I don't like the smell all the time, I don't think I could cope with living and sleeping with it. Someone I knew left their futon down for a couple of years without taking it up to air - you can only imagine what a state the tatami underneath was in when he did bring it up - BLACK.

I love tatami. It reminds me of lazy summer days snoozing at my grandmothers big old house. I keep the bed in the spare room for guests and sleep on a futon - which packs away during the day - great way to maximise use of limited space.

And I kinda like the smell...

• 2 weeks later...