I wonder if you can help me! I am writing essay for college project, and part of it is the image of Japan outside of Japan. I am interested in knowing who are well known Japanese people in your country?

If you tell me about it, please also note about the country also.

It's big help thank you!

Well, if you want recent people, baseball players in America are pretty famous and appear regularly in the US media:

Hideki Matsui

Kazuo Matsui

Ichiro Suzuki

Hideo Nomo

For recent movies, Ken Watanabe from "Last Samurai" has also received alot of press coverage in the US.

I don't know whether it is correct to say Admiral Yamamoto is "infamous". It has always been my impression that he is well-respected in the West. It's not like he committed any horrendous war crimes of anything.

In Australia I would say no modern day Japanese people are a household name. Kamo points out Yoko Ono quite correctly as a very well known name from the past. However before I came here, I didn't know of any famous Japanese people. To be honest, after 2 years here I still don't know the names of any famous Japanese people.

Hang on, I knew the name Akibono as I saw him fight in a big Sumo tournament in Sydney quite a few years ago.

Before comig to Japan I would say I knew about:

Ichiro, Kazuhiro Sasaki, Hideo Nomo

Akira Kurosawa, Toshiro Mifune, Beat Takeshi, Takeshi Miike, Hayao Miyazaki

Takashi Murakami

Eito & Takeshi Yasutoko (maybe not by name)

Yoko Ono, Miho Hatori & Yuka Honda (not by name),

Echineko

But I had never heard of Bob Sapp or David Beckham.