Starbucks - who frequents this place?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm glad I at least started a debate on the subject which was all I was going for. Most of my posts had a sarcastic undertone and I was just trying to poke everyone with the proverbial stick. I also have the flu which may have made some of my rants sound a bit nonsensical. I was in no way trying to attack anyone personally whether or not they visit Starbucks.

I still don't like the place for many, many reasons. There are other companies out there that are just as bad or worse - I just figured with the proliferation of coffee drinkers in Japan, this would be the best one to pick to get everyones attention.

Globalization and homogenization are becoming big problems in this world. In the US, every small town is essentially the same. You're always going to find a Wal-Mart, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc.... It is amazing to me how much things have changed in the last 20 years in this regard. I was blown away by how many Starbucks were in Tokyo - I felt like I was in Seattle.

My head hurts too much to get to into this anymore today.

Nice slope Ocean! How much is the ticket?

The one in central Niigata (Bandai) sucks. It has the same premium prices and premium plastic/paper cups. But its in this square tiny room with absolutely no character with about 10 tables packed in the middle. Awful.

I've been in some that are really nice, but stay away from this one.

Didn't they used to give you mugs all the time? It seems to be paper cups now unless you specifically ask for the mugs. mad.gif

If we are going to argue the merits of the globalized economy then that is one thing, but as corporations go Starbucks is actually pretty decent. They have strong policies regarding where their beans come from, work to promote fair trade coffee, and treat their employees extremely well. This may have some part to do with their success. If global corporate culture is accepted then I would love to see other corporations follow the lead of some of the things Starbucks has done. Hey Plucky, let's talk about CitiCorp, Monsanto, and Haliburton shall we?

The last time I went there I had to take back the bread roll thing I got because it was stale. The replacement was nearly as stale so zero marks for the shitty food. No free water and average commercial cafe type latte. Clearly better than a lot of the other shit which passes for coffee and points for the sofas and stuff. I haven't been back since-Seattles Best is a better alternative. Lots of good non-homogenous cafes in Osaka now as well. Don't rate the place at all really.

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
Hey Plucky, let's talk about CitiCorp, Monsanto, and Haliburton shall we?
Read my last post, will ya? I chose Starbucks to incite a discussion. Do you really think choosing a company such as CitiCorp would have gotten this many replies? Haliburton I'm sure would have also, but we know where that would have gone.

Besides, I hate coffee ;\)

lol.gif **STAR-SCHMUCKS**

I liked that little guy..could be the future spokes-thing for consumer advocates.

"you ever went to Taco Hell, ordered a Taco Grande and got a medium sized taco?" Yes! And I could sure go for one now!

Hey Plucky, do you guys have a Taco Hell up there?

Yes we do Kintaro. It's a staple on every base I've ever been on. I go there about once a month. I love the regular crunchy tacos. Don't know what it is about them.

Hey, I'm waiting for the shoppette to get a new shipment in - it should be today or tomorrow. The package should be to you within the next 5 days. Sorry for the delay. Hope you aren't jonesing too hard ;\)

No problem-o, Plucky-san. Re: Taco Bell, you are lucky! It's a 'don't know what you got till it's gone' kind of thing. Of all the fast food joints I ONLY miss taco bell. I would love a nacho's bell grande, beef meximelt and a soft taco right now! eek.gif

My nearest starbucks is literally hundreds of km away. When I go to the city though I went in once or twice and just thought how expensive it seemed.

• 3 weeks later...