Do you take part in local events?

Where I used to live, when I first came here, I used to take part in local things like matsuri and events but in my new place it doesnt seem as friendly and no-one seems to know much about each other. I'm not as keen to put out either, matsuri fatigue perhaps.

So do you take part in local events?

There is a pretty close relationship with the base and the local Japanese community here. We have such things as American Day (a weekend actually) which is very popular, many cooperative bazaars, the local Hanami festival, the air show, etc... My favorite is the Misawa Summer Festival Mikoshi Parade. I've done this the past two summers and have had an absolute blast. I love participating in the festivals here in Misawa and in the region. I just wonder if there is any coincidence between the Japanese drinking and their openess??? \:D

See if you can spot me in this pic. From http://www.misawajapan.com - a site a guy I work with runs.

mikoshi1.jpg

PS - that float is extremely heavy. Being one of the taller guys carrying it for over 3 hours really hurts the shoulders....poor me \:D

Not really.

What annoys me is the clean up days.

Just 10 minutes on a sunday am but by the time its finished you have missed a precious half a day of surfing. Why don't they make it on a weekday am for all the mothers to do?

When I first came here I used to enjoy taking part in all sorts of stuff. Then I gradually began to dislike being the center of attention that always brings and got bored with it all (being pretty much the same). So now I usually just stick with friends and not go to the local things so much.

Sometimes. I often become some kind of "special guest" at local things if I go, usually involving free booze. \:D If I'm having a bad hair day though and not feeling too good and able to stand up to all the scrutiny, it can be a pain.

I often take part in them. I live in a large neighbourhood, this is good chance to meet more people as I don't know that many. They are usually fun, unless you are 担当 lol.gif (that can be pain!)

We had a local event at the weekend, and I actually enjoyed it. I wasn't going to go, but a friend was here for the weekend and we decided to give it a go. Everyone was drunk, or on their way to being drunk, and all the usual stalls and silly events going on. Then a big booze up in the town square. Fun cheap night and made some new friends. clap.gif

I often take part in local events - its a good way to meet new people and get involved (and get invited to more parties). You can easily avoid people you're not keen on and there's usually booze and cool girlies around. cool.gif