Sorry, but those ads on CNN etc for No 1 Travel and Daily Yomiuri are just so BAD. Cheesier than cheesemans cheese cupboard. And - don't want this to come out wrong - but if they are going to do an ad in English, why don't they get some decent English-speakers to actually do them? wakaranai.gif

How come no-one has not noticed just how cringeworthy they are?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frannyo, that yomiuri shinbum one gets me everytime I see it! From where do you suppose those English speaking people are from, anyway?!?

If you've ever been to No. 1 travel...well the ad is realistic. A pretty motley group they got there.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Frannyo, that yomiuri shinbum one gets me everytime I see it! From where do you suppose those English speaking people are from, anyway?!?
yeah that gets to me that one..
"great for english proficency too..." in a very very bad english accent.
:rolleyes:

Another ad that drove me crazy was the one apparently telling people to get out and vote in the elections.

The scene as I remember it opens with the bleachers full of Japanese people cheering on a sports event and waving flags.

Then, a dramatic cut to a serious angry righteous man in a casual suit with open-necked shirt who yells out in didactic anger, "HEY JAPAN. IS IT JUST SPORTS FOR YOU THEN?!" and then he righteously guilts them into voting in his Big-Man angry voice.

The counterpoint to his macho tirade is The Cute Young Woman who is quietly appreciative and apparently somewhat taken with his impressive manly outburst...this poor weak doe is justly chastized and swept away by his manly anger and righteousness and she gazes with silent deep respect at him as the spot lurches to an end.

What I find most annoying about this commercial are the ridiculously childish stereotypical sex roles, and that angry bully orders and shaming are used to convey what is Proper.

If I had to make a CM urging people to vote and be socially responsible, I would try to appeal to different things.

It just seems so irritating and stupid that the people who dropped millions on making and airing this spot thought the best way to get out the vote was to show a skinny kakko-ii angry macho runt yelling out orders to a bunch of nitwits and then a sexy girl swoons because this is clearly The Way To Be.

Or, even worse, that the people who dropped the millions on making and airing this knew that this was the best way to get out the vote in Japan. "I think it's important to vote because a kakko-ii guy yelled at me and I'm ashamed that I wasn't doing what I'm supposed to."

Take your pick.

Sheesh.

:rolleyes:

Japanese ads - I like those really cheesy ones where you get people dancing and singing about some sauce or something and being complete fools. Crack me up.

I HATE HATE HATE the ones where they are just amplified eating/drinking sounds. Drive me nuts.

how about the one with the giant sanitary pad with wings that sucks up all the rain and flies off to the applause of all the people it saved?

that is my all time favourite.....along with the Acom ads. they are just catchy