• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowJapan Admin

Happily it seems to be much less active today. They still seem to be saying that we might have another big one, but generally things seem to be calming down. That's how I heard it anyway, I hope I wasn't just hoping that's what the guy on the telly said.

have you guys heard the story about those 3 people in car though. This story is amazing, and not for the good reasons.....

Apparently (and this is second hand because I don't understand Japanese well enough, but a very good japanese friend translated for me.....), apparently someone realised there was a car caught in a landslide last Sunday or Monday. The next day, the authorities decided to bring in sniffer dogs. Low and behold the dogs could smell people inside (how else would the car have gotten there, auto pilot ? ? ? ? ?). It was decided to hold off on trying to dig them out for some reason.

It was the next day (yesterday) that they started digging.........is it just me, but those people should been rescued earlier. In some countries, the rescue workers would now face manslaughter charges for waiting so long. Also, why were they digging by hand when there is such a vast amount of mechanical diggers in this country ? ? ? ? ?

It is a miracle that the boy survived, but, I think the real miracle is actually that the rescue guys made it in time.

You should see the situation before you make judgements like that. The car is buried halfway up a huge heap of freshly fallen boulders and loose dirt that makes the rescuers look like ants. There's nowhere to put an earthmover, and using an earthmover would kill the people inside the car, and likely bring down the rest of the heap on the rescuers. Plus the ground keeps on shaking at Mag 6 while they're working.

It's not an ideal situation...

As a matter of fact and observation in addition to actually living in the earthquake region; what Stipper on Coke has posted is correct. Ocean11, it pertubs me that you should suggest someone else 'see the situation before making judgement calls like that' and then you go on to state the impracticalities of effecting a satisfactory rescue. Am I to assume you are on site?????

Dear Perturbed,

No, but at least I've seen enough on TV to see why A) they may not be first priority for rescue, not being obviously alive and on the surface, and B) that digging them out with a back hoe would be a tough one.

There's a lot that can be said about how Japan handles disasters (or not), but this instance of rescue seems to have been better than previous ones.

I hope you get over your perturbance soon.

yeah but guys, Look at how big those chunks of rock and tunnel are from the half collapsed mountain. There is a serious stability issue there and it was right on the edge of a lake so that made access much more of an issue.

Altough I for one would have loved to have seen the rescue guys go in straight away so that maybe we could have had a chance at saving the mum and the daughter, but remeber that they were found in the dark with no idea if that place was stable at all, with all those strong quakes still happening something could have fallen or another landslide and we could have had way more fatalities on our hands.

I saw on the news last night that the police were not allowing the search to happen ( tuesday night)

Thanks Ocean11 for relieving my vexation by way of clarifying that you are not on site but are in fact among the thoughtful millions tuned to the fountain of truth commonly known as the TV. I was a little disappointed by your reply however in that there was no C). or D). - I have very fond memories of this format for multi-choice questions.

I appreciate your concern about me being perturbed in the first instance and although you may now be feeling the same kind of concern about me being vexed and possibly dissapointed. Do not dispair it has passed like a bit of flattulance.

I'm not but it doesn't take a frikkin genious to see that they were F%'king lucky to have even to found the car & for the little boy Yuta to have even survived.(apparently he was found outside of the car under it)

But people ot located in Niigata aren't qualified to make that kind of judgement.

I for one do have some reservations as to why there was no search of the vehicle made after the plates had been confirmed that night as belonging to the missing family. However I reserve comment on what was right and what was wrong.

Found this on the web re the Thredbo landslide in 1997 in Australia.

web page

A small relevant to the topic excerpt and some food for thought on the topic at hand:

. "Everyone was complaining that the rescuers weren't moving quickly enough," says tourist Mark Dobson, who was staying at the Hi-Noon Ski Club. "But when you see the site, it's bloody obvious. Hurrying would just get you killed."

Been a while, sorry. What a year this has been hey? Especially for people round here first with the pre-summer floods now with this mess.

My town wasn't too badly affected, but got a real shaking. As I said I was in Muikamachi for the first quakes which were pretty huge. Been quite a few since then. Took my a long time to get back home - ended up going via Nagano. My house had tons of things thrown all over the floor when I went back but nothing major damage. The quakes have continued since them basically but today has been much quieter.

Now that small towns in Niigata are famous and you all know them.... you know Yamakoshi-mura (the place that was totally destroyed, the natural dams, the cows...). Well I have some really good friends who live there, a Japanese family who really have looked after me. Their house is totally destroyed and might soon be underwater as well just to add to the woe.

I also have friends in Nagaoka and Kawaguchi (the shindo 7 place).

It's all very sad, the only real consolation being that they are still alive.

\:\(