Interesting comments.

As far as I know a traditional Christmas cake is a rich, heavy fruit cake with marzipan and icing, and far from "tasting like crap", it tastes excellent. If you eat a good proper one anyway....

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
Interesting comments.

and far from "tasting like crap", it tastes excellent. If you eat a good proper one anyway....
Probably does Scouse, but on this one mate it's the fact that I am not a huge fan of the dark fruit cake varieties.

My "traditional" Xmas cake is a Pavalova, which i am looking forward to eating soon! clap.gif

I'm with Indo. Trad xmas cake is not so great. Think about it, there is always heaps left over even by new years day some is still in the fridge. No one likes it, just like wedding cake (not that I hav ever had wedding cake). It is more for decoration: it looks like the season and that is why people like it. Come on, you all know this, just don't want to admit it. ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dear Britain:
Trad xmas cake is not so great. Think about it, there is always heaps left over even by new years day some is still in the fridge. No one likes it, just like wedding cake
DB, damn right boy! Tell me how much Pav is ever left over??

I feel there aren`t enough people sticking up for the Trad Crimble Cake, so my hand is up in favour!!

Love them both Christams Pudding which is different from the cake, as has no iceing or marzipan and is always fun when smothered in Brandy Butter and other spirits and set alight at the Crinmble table. (Watch out for erant hair pieces though from elderly relatives, can be a fire hazzard!). Also love the making of real Christmas cake when I was a kid stirring the mixture and making a wish, then licking the bowl afterwards!! Thats when you know Christmas is coming!!! (que licking the bowl gags!!)

P.S Echineko Don`t order your Christmas Cake, its heaps better to make it and tastes all the better too!!! You can get all the ingrediants here in Japan. If you make the pudding then its traditional to hide some kind of money coin in the mixture then on Christams day whoever gets it has luck all year!! (Or a big shock when they swallow a 5 yen coin!!) lol.gif

Jeez - some of you guyz had a deprived childhood never being exposed to "high quality" xmas cake.

OK not everyones a fan of fruit cake, or every other cake for that matter, but give me a slice of the real stuff over cream masquerading as cake any day.

Last Saturday, I just baked 2 traditional ozzie xmas cakes - "Drovers Xmas Cake" - no icing, plenty of fruit, spices and RUM. Will last for ages, in fact gets better over time.

As for being left in the fridge - no self respecting fruit cake bod would put it in the fridge - now that's sacrilege.

The Japanese folks I've introduced to the Real Thing over the years have been amazed, firstly that xmas cake is not a dry, tasteless sponge with a sickly cream covering and secondly that a fruit cake could taste soooo good.

Just an indication of the ingredients -

3 kg's dry fruit - raisins, sultanas, apricots, cranberries, prunes, mixed fruit, citrus peel.

10 eggs

butter, black sugar

4 cups of flour

cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg.....

1.5 cups of dark rum

......?

Baking time 4 hours

What you get is a wonderful tasting, moist, nutritious hit. This stuff sustained the outback boys - cattle drovers - for weeks on end.

A little a day goes a long way.

You back-country guyz couldn't get a better high energy snack for the winter.

So Echi-chan, there's xmas cake, and there's XMAS CAKE.

Hope you can try some this season. \:\)

With you on that one Snobee, at home working on the farm and pulling out the Crimble Cake on a cold winters day after Christmas sat on the tractor with a hot flask of Tea!!!! Can perk up even the bleakest of days, and there are plenty on the farm!!

My Gran used to make an amazing Christmas cake. If I remember correctly it was made months in advance (they get better with age?). Very very nice. One of the highlights actually. My mum makes a good one too, but nothing comes close to what gran could make. \:\)

Snobee that sounds like an awesome cake. As a kid I hated christmas cake and only wanted to eat the iceing. Now I've switched tastes and love the cake without the icing. After all it's essentially just fruit. Couldn't stand the xmas mince pies either, but had some hot with cream last year and they were great. Go the pavlova;my mum makes a version of it with chocolate mousse/cream, topped with kiwifruit and sliced moro bars. None of that this year unless I get cooking.