I don't think so.

If there is why does it make happen like terrible Asia jishin/tsunami.

I think also like Niigata and shinkasen it opened for first time in 2 months and it should be good news but instead there is some yoshin that day and it become news.

It is not funny.

It is irony. (?

Believing in God requires faith.

When bad things happen, faith is tested.

Its on a pass/fail basis.

If you believed in God before this natural disaster, and now you dont, maybe you didnt have any faith to begin with but only curiousity. If it was only curiousity, then you didnt ever really BELIEVE in God. And if you never really had any faith in the first place then what's the purpose of publicly denying God?

There has been and always will be death, it's very sad, but it happens.

god does not exist. No such thing. The whole concept of god and religion of any type is a sick joke. I even have difficulty saying 'god does not exist' as that requires some contemplation that there might be a god. Quite simply, it is a null concept.

Everyday look up at the sun and thank it for being there. That is about as much of a god as any of us need. Any more and we are heading towards superstitious pathetic-ness.

God doesn't have to be something that has been shoved down your throat via some religion.

God, in context, means many things. Be it Gaia or Buddah or just a feeling you have about nature --- or anything else.

All are concepts created by humans. Having no God, no ending - it is also a creation of the human mind.

I find organized religion, all kinds, 'funny'. Not to say some of the beliefs aren't valid in how we should live our lives.

I just disagree with precribing to some belief because I'm told to do so. To me, God may be one person or a collection of many things. I don't believe this is faith, but more of a feeling.

I'd just hate to think that we die and that is it. There is too much out there that refutes this. Organized religion has warped this chink in mankinds armor so drastically though.

DB - as I mentioned above, if you dont believe in God in the first place then what is the point of publicly denying God exists?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dear Britain:

I even have difficulty saying 'god does not exist' as that requires some contemplation that there might be a god.

lol.gif I think you know what I mean then.
 Quote:
I'd just hate to think that we die and that is it. There is too much out there that refutes this.
I'm just curious ... what is out there that refutes this?

Personally, I'm half way between agnostic and atheism - that is I beleive you can't prove there is a god just as much as you can't prove there isn't ... but the scientist in me is leaning towards there not being one.

I'm with Darwin in that we evolved via natural selection, and the only big question to me is why did the universe begin?
 Quote:
Originally posted by sakitumi:
[QB] DB - as I mentioned above, if you dont believe in God in the first place then what is the point of publicly denying God exists?
What's the point in repeating this weak and dishonest cavil ad nauseam? As there are a large number of people who loudly proclaim that there are gods, and who loudly insist that it should be the basis for any number of irrational behaviours, it's perfectly valid to point out that the evidence for 'God's' existence is more plausibly explained in other ways.

Think of it as the first line of defence against magical thinking, fundamentalist political coercion, and air-headed guff.

Nature kills 150,000 people, a massive and tragic event, no doubt at all about that.

Man kills 50,164,854

This is a little dark, but lets say this tsunami kills 150,000 unfortunate people over a 1 week period. WWII lasted 6 years, that’s 312 weeks. At a rate of 1 tsunami per week for 6 years we still would not reach the same death toll inflicted by mankind during WWII. I admit it is heartless for me to do maths like this and by no means is it an attempt to dismiss the sheer magnitude of the death and destruction and heartache since boxing day. What I am attempting to do is highlight the abilities of man relative to nature and then explore what it is that we should question:

I personally think we should question ourselves before we question the existence of 'god' and the 'reason' behind natural disasters.

Someone else’s view . We can not predict nor prevent natural disasters like this tsunami. We can predict and prevent war. It is that simple.

I hope I have not offended anyone.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
 Quote:
Originally posted by sakitumi:
[QB] DB - as I mentioned above, if you dont believe in God in the first place then what is the point of publicly denying God exists?
What's the point in repeating this weak and dishonest cavil ad nauseam? As there are a large number of people who loudly proclaim that there are gods, and who loudly insist that it should be the basis for any number of irrational behaviours, it's perfectly valid to point out that the evidence for 'God's' existence is more plausibly explained in other ways.

Think of it as the first line of defence against magical thinking, fundamentalist political coercion, and air-headed guff.
Ad nauseam eh? Dont be such a hypocrite, you have already raised the hypothetical (heh) "ad nauseam" bar on this forum to an unbeatable, infinite level.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:

I'd just hate to think that we die and that is it. There is too much out there that refutes this. Organized religion has warped this chink in mankinds armor so drastically though.
I don't think inflated ego is too much to refute...
 Quote:
Originally posted by brit-gob:
Now twice as much snow as an average year in Nagaoka/Ojiya/Kawaguchi just on the news. eek.gif It's as if the poor people are being bullied. wakaranai.gif
Oh the poor poor people. Complaining about snow when they live in one of the snowiest regions of the world ;\)

Perhaps you might care to read the post, Toque.

:rolleyes:

TWICE the normal amount of snow in an area that has been recently wrecked by an earthquake - meaning houses that did survive (but weakened by) the earthquake are now being crushed by very abnormal amounts of snow for that particular part of Niigata. So they were hoping to go back to their homes and repair them in April but their house will most likely be destroyed by the time they can get to it.

wakaranai.gif

Not really even sure why I posted on this. I knew I would get a response from it. I just find it kind of funny that people living in a place like that can complain about the huge amount of snow that they get every year. Even if they just went through a huge storm.

Yes it is sad that houses are being crushed.

I find it odd though that with hundreds and hundreds of years of living there they havn't built houses with really steep roofs. Seems to be the stile back in the day with thatched roof houses but now they are back with only minor slanting that need to be cleaned every few days.

But that is just me and my dark humour

And to get back on topic. No there is not a god

Quote:
I just find it kind of funny that people living in a place like that can complain about the huge amount of snow that they get every year. Even if they just went through a huge storm.
They don't normally complain about it.

They might just feel justified in not being too happy this year getting double the usual amount of snow because of the fact that they had a 6.8 earthquake shatter their lives and weaken their houses just a few months ago without the time to repair. Their weakened houses, having just about surviving that earthquake, are now starting to get crushed due to freak record amounts of snow adding to the misery.

Yes, I'm sure you'd be real jolly if it were you.

Quote:
I find it odd though that with hundreds and hundreds of years of living there they havn't built houses with really steep roofs.
Many houses do have steep roofs, and also have heated roofs.

It doesnt matter if you belive in god or not. All that matters is that anyone can become a born-again-Christians just before you die. Once you have accepted Christ into your heart, then youre not going to hell - except for anybody thats not a Christian, so all you aethesist, boddhisatvas, muslims, jews are all gonna burn :rolleyes:

Thats what I learned in F.C.A. and bible study at least. Jesus, what the hell are the wackos in the bible belt thinking?? eek.gif

My mates car has (had) a Darwin sticker on it that looks like that fish looking christian symbol on it. We come out from the mall and some 45-50yr old BIT%H had put a jesus loves you sticker over it and was keying his car!!! We caught her redhanded. Some of the stuff that was coming out of her mouth before the police came was shocking, considering that she proclaimed she was an honest and faithful christian...whateverthatmeans confused.gif shifty.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:

My mates car has (had) a Darwin sticker on it that looks like that fish looking christian symbol on it. We come out from the mall and some 45-50yr old BIT%H had put a jesus loves you sticker over it and was keying his car!!! We caught her redhanded. Some of the stuff that was coming out of her mouth before the police came was shocking, considering that she proclaimed she was an honest and faithful christian...whateverthatmeans confused.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Some Christians are funny

What happened to the lady?

What isn't funny however is those adoption doctor snipers mad.gif Those people are mad.