That one had me jumping up and opening the balcony door (I'm on the ground floor, by the way) eek.gif I rarely do that. It seemed to go on forever too. Took awhile to get back to sleep. My toothbrush fell into the bathtub - this appeared to be the only casualty.

What I want to know is... where do you run to? From what I remember, those Niigata folk on here were talking about freezing to the spot when the big big one hit them last year and not being able to move.

Is this hiding under a table thing not realistic or what?

I pretty much filled my daks this morning. Didn`t wake up to the earthquake right away as am pretty deep sleeper, however most definately did wake up when my surf board which is next to my bed decided to attack me!!! Thinking I was the victim of a viscious burgalry I started fighting back not knowing who, where or what I was, after a good 30 seconds of leaping around and fists flying the realisation that i was fighting an inanimate object whilst my room shook dawned!!!!!! The board came off the better of us two and i now have a pretty bruised torso!!! eek.gif confused.gif

I am not a morning person!! :rolleyes:

Yama actually the bathtub took the fall surprisingly well, not a scratch :p :p

I never know what to do myself. I've read it's "safest" (if there is such a thing) to stand next to a wall. Oh, and keep potentially dangerous things away from you where you're sleeping, like surfboards.

Yeah, some spice jars were down in my kitchen and plant pot, too... It was pretty big shake.

I worried that maybe somewhere else was worse like when it happened in Niigata. That's why I checked internet.

What can I do when it's shaking?

I should keep water(not wine or beer) and food for use in an emergency.

I'll tell you what, I just could not move. I was frozen for a long time holding on to the wall (I think). I remember doing a lot of standing on the spot not being able to move quite a while after it. And then of course there were about 3 or 4 other big big ones within the hour. God, what a night that was. " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" /> For a couple of months after with all the aftershocks, when I "heard one coming" (sounding like a truck approaching) I stopped whatever I was doing and just held on to something. I did the same for lots of actual trucks as well, thinking they were aftershocks.

\:\(

There is no way I could move over the other side of the room to get under a table.