Hmmm....drawing a long bow there Furm. Have you worked for a Japanese company? More like with Japan's gender roles stuck in the 60's and a majority of mums not working, they have more time to watch TV drama than everybody else. Who knows? My experience was that the average japanese workday is still criminally long and fairly inefficient.

yeah, I suppose the gender roles do play a part in there somewhere.

i do work for a japanese company. while everybody seems to be pecking away at their computers from before my arrival until well after my departure everyday, i am convinced nobody is really doing anything and would prefer to be watching tv.

the younger guys do keep a schedule similar to mine though...unless they are workign for OT to save up for a new videogame or something.

Furm, you must be working at one of those few Japanese companies that actually pay overtime.

My company is supposedly "gaishikei" but they do not pay overtime and the work hours are as Dims described them "criminally long". As for the inefficiency, who has any ideas to improve this rampant inefficiency and endless meetings in the Japanese workplace?

I cannot stand the TV being on when people are not watching it. I find Japanese TV a good way to study Japanese (both reading and aural) but the way that Japanese families do not converse at meals and yet watch mind-numbing cooking and variety shows until they go insane ... makes me feel rather sad. The only time we used to watch TV during dinner was if there was a rugby match on and my Mum was always appalled ...

Maybe I just need to get out of Japan for a while. I need help!

Yeah, at least I hear they pay overtime to the hourly guys. All salaried guys are completely salary.

My ma would never let us watch TV during meals either. Good for the family, I think. Caused us to eat real fast though...ha.

I too need to get outta here...114 days left!

I went to the doctor's once in a state of semi-collapse and in the waiting room I could no longer bear the noise of the TV manga. It was a 'girl's tennis' manga, with lot's of agonized female grunting and exertion, and it did my aching head in. So I stood up and turned it off. It was like I had stood up and pulled my trousers down. Everybody, stared at me, including all the people who weren't even watching the hot cartoon tennis action. They kept staring at me after I sat down.

Two minutes later, the 'nurse', realizing that something was horribly amiss in the waiting room, came in and turned it back on. I asked her not to, explaining that it made me feel more ill, but this was an emergency and the TV had to go back on. Another good example of Japanese service employees listening to the customers I thought as I died in the corner listening to Miss Cartoon Tennis.

Quote:
Originally posted by woywoy:

Maybe I just need to get out of Japan for a while. I need help!
Thats why I got outta here for Spring Break. Gawd, I was gonna go postal on somebody from just being sick of thangs here....ahhhh feel better now \:D

I have found that too - the tv seems to be on whether people are watching it or not. Like my parents might have the radio on. At least with radio it's usually music rather than just the shouting that goes on for the most part on tv here.

The 'music' shows with that guy with the sunglasses are possibly the most intolerable shows.

A whole succession of moody-looking dorks with gelled hair say "yoroshiku onegaishimasu", "yoroshiku onegaishimasu", "yoroshiku onegaishimasu" and, then the guy says "sassoku" (no not, NOT sassoku, we've had ten minutes of exciting "yoroshiku onegaishimasu" already!) then they all sing bad songs through their noses.

I know that TV is largely a vehicle for advertising, but couldn't they come up with a format that doesn't involve formal introductions and the resulting keigo? It would be so much more ... alive.

• 4 months later...

Just saw another thing last night that said something like the average hours of tv watching in a day is over 4 hours.... a DAY! That just seems nuts.

How much do you watch.

If there is nothing special on, it's just about 30 mins for me, usually the news.

TV is basically rubbish and a waste of time wherever you go. I frequently have to grumble at my girl and turn it off. Most of the time she's not even watching it and she guiltily agrees that it shouldn't be buzzing away.

I like it for documentaries, news, and the occassional decent movie. I find the rubbish ratio for movies to be about the same as it is for TV.

One thing is for sure, you're not going to get to retirement age and think to yourself "Man...I wish I'd watched more TV when I was younger".

4 hours per day!! I watch a grand total of 4 hours per month max, with 2 hour as the average. I would like to see more documentaries, but that requires reading the tv guide... and that is something I have not done in over 10 years.

I think TV is almost the lowest 'street level' icon of first world society. I simply do not understand people who enjoy tv. I work with a guy and besides his family I think his next source of pride and self identity is his massive collection of dvd's. My anti-tv high horse is one that I will most certainly not dismount nor apologise for any time soon either.

[by 'street level' I mean an icon that is common to nearly all people within our society, like a mobile phone, which by the way I now own and pay never any more than £10 per month, a bill which I am quite proud of in this age of mobile phone mania ].

If you include watching your own DVDs and stuff, then I probably average about 1hr a day, maybe a bit more. Pretty much the only thing I watch on broadcast programs is the news.