1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

One a year is good, more than once is better. Other than that I always managed to let off a lot of steam by hitting the slopes, Izu, and the pubs and clubs of Tokyo on the weekend. And my weekends were sacred. You wouldn't believe the looks of disbelief I got when I said that I was having a two week holiday to Thailand at the end of year break last year. I was thinking why would anybody want to go somewhere for less than that? wakaranai.gif

I NEED to get "out" TWICE a year. I have been successful with this so far ...one trip home and one trip to a country other than my own. But also as Dims says, your weekends must involve some "change of scenery" to stay sane here. Whether it be Izu, the mountains or onsen or what, you have to get out and about.

At the end of last year I desperately NEEDED to leave Japan.

Usually once a year is fine, but I like to take 3 or 4 weeks if possible. Getting work to agree is always a long and painful process.

Quote:
Originally posted by woywoy:
How do you know when to call a country that is not your place birth, your "home"???
When youve lived here for a long time, have a family, kids, a house, and couldnt imagine living somewhere else...which is, Im guessing, O11 situation.

After living in Japan for just a year or two I never considered Japan my home, but now it is and heres where I call home; and, my friends back home laughed at me over vacation for stating that. Thing is, I have nothing in America other than my family, and have over 6 years invested here, an awesome job, my best mates, apartment, and a life(style) I love.

Yeah, if you've sired a Japanese person who is going through school here, it takes on a homely sort of feeling. (Except when your kid calls you 'gaijin' and says things like "Foreigners are not allowed to attend this sake tasting event") lol.gif

No, but I've been to lots like that. There's a really good shop in Matsuyama that has Ehime sake from 100 to 500 yen a glass. Going there tonight in fact for a little aperitif or five.

Quote:
Originally posted by woywoy:
How do you know when to call a country that is not your place birth, your "home"???
I would say when you are settled, comfy and and in a permanent situation.
I call Japan my home now (I didn't for first 2 years as it was temp) but I do intend on moving back.

When i lived in Indonesia it was always going to be temporarily so I guess you can't really call that home.