PART 1:

Alright, I promised a trip report - no matter how pethetic. However, it has been puking all day (2-3M) and I intend to get first chair up tomorrow and hopefully some better pics for PART 2.

I arrived up here on Sat. and went up for a half day. Mostly just rode around the mountain to check out the coverage on the runs - excellent coverage, they had recieved a storm the week before (20 inches) and seem to be faring much better than some Japanese resorts this season.

Unfortunately, I got sick on Sat night and was f*%cking miserable on Sun and Mon and just stayed in the cabin and blew thru about 3 boxes of tissue. Finally on Tues, I said F*%ck it - and I went up.

View of Huntington Lake from China Bowl

SirJibAlot_41.jpg

SJA in the China Bowl

SirJibAlot_36.jpg

Shot looking back up into the China Bowl

SirJibAlot_42.jpg

Since I was a loner this day (wife was sick), no other pics really - I pretty much just cruised the mountain and hit a few jibs in the park. Busted my ass on a box, but I won't post any arse pics per BP's request ;\)

This place has a pretty sick park, they've expanded it every year and this year the place is insane.

Wed

Me, Z-Diddy, and M-Dogg went up and played in the park most of the day. I noticed that they weren't running the firebowl T-bar and decided to check it out for any untracked pow. Sure enough some of it had been tracked out, but there were still a few clean lines to be had.

So Z-Diddy hiked up first so I could get some video of him coming down.

SirJibAlot_37.JPG

SirJibAlot_38.JPG

Then, I hiked up and found an untracked spot to hit.

SirJibAlot_39.JPG

This pow was a few days old and heavy as hell, not much fun - but something different after a day of resort and park riding.

All day Wed, the buzz in the resort was a big storm coming in. Sure enough when I checked out the forecast, they were saying blizzard/white out conditions, so I skipped Thurs. Here's a pic from the resort cam while it's puking up there.

SirJibAlot_40.jpg

Sooooo, After today's storm, they should have about 2-3M up there of fresh pow - It was pretty cold up there (by cali standards...-7 to -11) so hopefully it will be dry pow. Stay tuned for part 2 tomorrow......

-SJA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part 2:

So I woke up to blue sky's and a pleasant surprise of additional snow accumulation. The wife was feeling better - so we grabbed our gear and headed up. Unfortunately, we got stuck behind a bus that refused to let people pass - so we missed first chairs, but did manage to get up early enough to get some fresh tracks in.

Heading up the lift.

SirJibAlot_44.JPG

Now, I don't profess to be an expert on riding pow, but I have done it a few times...however, I was not prepared (or skilled) at riding stuff this deep - but I gave it a shot anyway...

SirJibAlot_45.JPG

SirJibAlot_46.JPG

As you would expect, everything was pretty well tracked out by lunch time. I do have to say though, that conditions here couldn't be better, unfortunately - today was my last day and we're heading back to LA tomorrow sadglass.gif

Anyway, it was fun while it lasted - now back home to Japan...

SirJibAlot_47.JPG

-SJA

Yea, the storm was supposed to be a monster - they had winter storm warnings up across the high sierras and were expecting a dump of 2-3 feet from 10a - 10p, then an additional 2-3 feet from midnight to 6am. Apparently, it lost a lot of the moisture as it dumped rain across Fresno and the brunt of the storm hit just south of us...we were only greeted with a total of 2 Feet when it was all over. 6 feet (2M) would have been somthing!

CB, I'm still in Cali and the wife is now stretching in the other room preparing for some HARD CORE shopping \:o Let me know if you want me to bring some games back for you...i'm going to be looking at getting a few for myself.

TTT, It's unusual for the California mountains to get such a big and cold storm - all the folks on the mountain that day had big sh^t eating grins on thier face while they were shedding the pow.