My friend is taking up skiing this season and wants to busy some new skis. Complete beginner, 185cm tall, guy. Anyone able to recommend ski length? A few shops have said a few different things and so he is confused and I'm not the one to help.

Cheers

I am on 172, the same as my height, but I think I am a poorly practiced intermediate and have off piste ambitions, hence the length. Apparantly an on-piste beginner is best kitted with skis of height minus 10cm, as suggested.

having said all of this, some people refer mainly to your body weight when recommending a ski length.

• 4 weeks later...

i was browsing through some skiing books, and read something like

- generally, 10cm less than your height

- if you are a beginner, something smaller, ie., 20 cm

- however, if you are pretty much advanced, same as your height, or something longer

well, i guess it depends on the ability level then...

just out of curiosity, what happens if you have ski that is less than your "ideal ski length"...? what are the pros and cons?

in my case, i am about 180cm in height, have a weight of about 78kg, and use skis that are 160cm in length and have a flex of "8" (somewhat "hard")

thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

Bah to the chart above. Height - 10cm on parabolics. increase lenght for speed.

less is easier to ski/turn than more. Ive heard this debate at length and personally find it easier to ski shorter than longer skis. You dont lose too much in speed and after all its about turns isnt it.

I think the actual ski is quite important. shape, stiffness and waist underfoot.

Ive been trending shorter for years now.

If you are beginning then definitely downsize as it will make things easier (ie turning will be much easier). Then I would more likely increase the stiffness in the ski before increasing the length (ie upgrade to a performance ski before getting a longer beginner ski if you get my drift)

actually having re-read the OP, beginners should first try rental skis before plunging for a new set. At least with rentals you can always switch to board if you don't think skiing is cool enough for you.