• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

a couple questions about these monkey's, how close can you get to them, the picture where the photographer is super close, can anyone get that close or was that staff photoguy or something.

also what are they doing in the May? they still hang in the same area?

thanks

I think they always hang in the same area - suppose they might want to be taking more onsen in winter than summer though maybe. They are always there though apparently.

You can get as close as you want - and that means very close. Well take a look at the photos on there, take a camera and you can take photos like that.

There is a direct bus from Nagano eki, just go to the Tourist Information center and ask for a time sheet/which bus stop to go to.

Although the brochure advises you to observe from afar, the caretaker didn't say anything when I was within touch distance of the monkeys. Monkeys were running around 1-2 feet away from my legs, one of them actually hugged my friend's leg. Then it started to urinate.

• 6 months later...

you can do it if you leave a bit early and don't park your car in the village and walk from there. We did that and it took quite a while to get to the monkeys.

If you park at the right parking lot it is just a short walk (nice after a day of skiing/boarding)