I have tried various things to prevent my boots from becoming moldy over the humid summers here and nothing has worked to my satisfaction so far.

The best I have found so far is numerous charcoal dehumidfier inserts, and sealing the boots in plastic, but even that doesn't work all that well.

Has anyone else discovered a sure-fire solution?

Baby powder? Never thought of that. But doesn't the powder turn to sludge the following year when you use them again and they get sweaty?

Tried those food desiccants. They didn't work. A friend in the food packing industry later told me it was because they only last a few weeks even in a small sealed package, and in the open air, only last about half an hour.

Quote:
use those packs from food items to keep them fresh
Thats what I do as well. And the things you can get to put in with your clothes.

ive heard somewhere that once you finally dry your boots for the season, you should stuff the liner with newspaper...

since i only started skiing this season, i dont know if it really works - but would be trying it...

You can buy big version of those food pack things to put in your clothes drawers during rainy season. I put a couple of those in my boots.

Fattwins, is it okay to store the liners separately? The guy at the store where I got my boots fitted told me that I should take them out to dry them after a day out but in general to store them inside the boots with the boots closed to help them retain their shape.

Quote:
Originally posted by me jane:
You can buy big version of those food pack things to put in your clothes drawers during rainy season. I put a couple of those in my boots.

Fattwins, is it okay to store the liners separately? The guy at the store where I got my boots fitted told me that I should take them out to dry them after a day out but in general to store them inside the boots with the boots closed to help them retain their shape.
same thing that was told to me - just set the buckles to "one"

I heard that you should stick your boots in the freezer for a bit to kill any nasty stuff and then put cat litter in them to absorb any moisture. Supposedly removes any odour too. I tried it at the end of one season but my boots still had that unmistakable smell of wet dogs the next year.

Quote:
unmistakable smell of wet dogs
What is it with dogs + wet? lol.gif

I just put mine in the garage which is cooler than everywhere else (but still very hot in summer). They seem fine when I get them out in October/Nov.