Photos to come tomorrow, to cut down on the 'that dot is me' thing - inescapable with compact cameras is big mountains.

it was far too much fun. recommend it to anyone thinking about it next year....

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yo boys - thank U i had an absolutely amazing time up there. it was my second time to camp at tateyama and this time i got to stay there a little longer (last time fubuki and i almost got blown off the mountain in a storm last november) - the location was stunning, perfect weather condidions, the company fantastic and the whole experience was great for learning and getting out there and trying stuff.

i loved ALL of it - yehhh even the hiking up with all the gear in and out, we were so charged up after that we hit the park on the way home... absolutely hilarious, straight out of the backcountry and down to ride park for the afternoon at 47.

cool to meet tetsuo - we know a lot of the same people, but had never met him before - he's a wicked skier - andy and i spied his line on our hike up raicho and soon found out WHO it was. loved it how he turned up in the park straight outa tateyama too.

going to tateyama is great access to a lot of great lines and terrain and totally survivable camping (with the correct gear and the epic weather that we had anyway) at night, the stars are stunning from up there - just amazing to be living in the mountains for a few days.

have some wicked photos and eh... when i work out how to reduce the sizes on my mac (anyone using iphoto and mac who know, please share?!) i'll get them up here, of course including comedy shots of AK77 AKA luke skywalker. watched a bit of star wars at FT's place last night and the similarity is uncanny hohoho...

we all learned a lot of things and most importantly had an absolute riot together up there, it was just so much fun.

... safety ;\)

Glad you had a good time EBC

Try and get a few of the thousand pictures that I know you took online

Funny you met Tetsuo as well

I've run into him in the mountains quite a few times. Good guy to talk to.

from the faq:

The simplest way to do this is to click on the IMAGE button (which can be found below the ADD NEW TOPIC or ADD REPLY button.) A small popup window will appear. Simply paste or type in the full URL address for the image you want to appear. For example, http://www.snowjapan.com/image.jpg. Once you've done that, click on OK and the correct code should automatically appear in your post.

go look at your picture first. then rightclick on it and choose 'copy url'. then u just have to paste it in when u click on image

Tateyama Basecamp

eskimobasecamp_9.jpg

Our snowcamp neighbours, alpinists from Osaka - who built a kick ass snowcave, inadvertedly told us to shut up by offering us sake and snored far too loudly

eskimobasecamp_10.jpg

Looking up Raicho from basecamp

eskimobasecamp_11.jpg

EBC at the basecamp

eskimobasecamp_12.jpg

View of O-yama from the camp

eskimobasecamp_13.jpg

View of the 3 peaks from the camp

eskimobasecamp_14.jpg

EBC - Tateyama Day 1 - 1st hike up after setting up camp

eskimobasecamp_15.jpg

Looking back to basecamp on the 1st hike up, the sun about to go down

eskimobasecamp_16.jpg

Night view at basecamp

eskimobasecamp_17.jpg

Looking down to the camp at night

eskimobasecamp_18.jpg

AK and EBC routefinding - i wanted to hike Raicho then traverse the ridge before dropping in

eskimobasecamp_19.jpg

We spent most of that hike staring at the line coming off this peak - beautiful turns heading all the way down the face into the avi debris at the bottom - asking each other WHO did it??

eskimobasecamp_25.jpg

This guy did it!!! Tetsuo Hayashi riding the Seths... K2 baby yeh!

eskimobasecamp_26.jpg

After a wicked day out there - time to start cooking again, ramen or pasta boys???

eskimobasecamp_28.jpg

Think i'll just chill dans le tento and let the boyz do the cookin!

eskimobasecamp_27.jpg

I guess when the party is taking down days then leaving early there wont be much skiing. 4 perfect days of weather and 2 decents... sorry guys but man come on.

also pack lighter you dont need your rubber boots for around camp. thats not a knock on anyone just a general knock at way over packing.