anyone up for a few days during GW?

this will be my first trip there for snowboarding, tho i've been up there as a tourist in the summer.

you will need:

back country experience (RAC or ARAC preferred)

avie kit (beacon, probe, shovel)

skins or snowshoes

50L pack

tent

foam pad

sleeping bag for cold weather

(there is a way to rent the above from outdoor stores)

food

water

sunglasses

sun lotion

map

compass

whistle

flash light

TP

extra clothes (everything you could think of)

having this would help:

first aid kit

stove and extra gas

head lamp

i'm sure i'll be adding more to the list in the coming days

i can only post in the mornings and evenings tho, as work has a filter. any takers?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you dont need water cause they have a source.

you can save on gas cause you dont need to melt snow for water. bring one stove for everyone. head lamp is better than a flashlight. a minus 10 rated bag at least cause it gets cold at night. 500 yen a day for camping maybe? you might have to/should have to pay to camp. its a good time but and you can do short or long lines.

TP is good

From what I remember last year they might not have any

Bring some garbage bags so that you don't get your feet wet in the bathroom and water area once you take your boots off at the end of the day.

Tateyama is a fun place to go overnight because you can bring a lot of extras. The camp area is so close to the bus station.

looking at the maps and the net,

is the campsite near the Raicho onsen/ Raicho Lodge (雷鳥温泉雷鳥荘) one one you've camped at before?

looks like there's only one bus from Tateyama St. (15:20) to Murodo (15:40) per day... for 2,500 on the weekends.

will call tomorrow to get reservations on this bus for Sun 4/29, return 5/5.

for those who aren't familiar with the area, this is where i wanna go:

pho_ohtani.jpg

most recent report is 19m on the walls of the road. Avalanche danger will of course depend on the weather, but this is some of Japan's good spring skiing.

There are many many many buses a day

You are probably only reading the direct bus

Take the trolly train from Tateyama station up to the next station and then grab a bus from there. They depart about every 30-60 minutes.

No need to make reservations

enjoy the view sanno

i've got a 2-person tent and a decent sleeping bag now and have been running extra this week. i bought a headlamp and a thermarest--love the self inflation!

have everything i need now except a 50L+ pack but

i might have to put this trip off b/c i'm not going to go into the back country by myself confused.gif

It's not like winter backcountry Dizzy

So much safer

There will also be about 500-1000 backcountry skiers up there

You won't be alone

Friday the weather should be good Sanno

FT is right

Just ski off the peak. Either down the chute facing the station or the big bowl right below the peak

sanno that way you can also pull out after about 600meters of good vert and glide most of the way back to your honeys.

dizzy ebc really wants to get into some hiking and it would be easy for you guys to car pool from hakuba. she lives just down the road from me. She has done lots of beacon practice and been around DAve in the BC so she is about up to RAC level awareness. above rac level beacon skils. anyways she needs the practice and im sure that she would love to join you.

Yeh i'm up for Tateyama in GW - just still deciding what to do and waiting for other friends to make decisions... but very probably up for Tateyama though. Also, have been there before snow camping last November (and have been in summer time too) - the last weekend before it closed. I'm sure GW will offer much more hospitable conditions compared to last November's camping expedition LOL... eh fubuki?!! No 'nearly blown off the mountain' blizzards to cope with haha.

Dizzy - i met you at Tracks, maybe in December? Do you remember?

Dizzy, what bag are u looking to get?

Toque, do you think he needs 50L? I've heard there are lockers to stash your stuff at.

actually just wondering if my 40L will do the job when I get healthy

Yes there are lockers but you just leave all the gear in your tent and go to the summit with day gear

For a GW overnight trip a 40litre is enough. You might have to tie 1 or 2 things onto the outside but you would be fine.

A few of us have even carried in our hands shopping bags of food to camp.

Dizzy if you can figure it out don't take the summer trail to the camp. Much easier to hike up the trail to the Tateyama summit for about 5-10minutes and then drop down the first drainage. There will be a catrack to follow. This way you can ride almost the entire way to camp without taking your board off.

blpic41357.jpg

go around the lodges above the small cliffs about 40 footer there on the cat track looker left. then follow the cat road down. also for sanno ski to the right of me gotta go to a meeting toque show via bigline pics

cheers. thx for the directions. i think i can figure it out. i can always just ask someone where the TENTO-JYO is, too.

kuma, looking at 3:

OSPREY TRANSPORTER 60L for 15,540 internet price

OSPREY EXPOSURE 66L for 22,050

TATONKA AXIS 70AT 1347 for only 14,280 (why so cheap?)

sucks things are on sale at some of the stores here in tokyo, 15% off, but i'm already over my budget for this season. oh well, if i can only manage GW. there's always next season.