Hi, I've been camping!

camp4jv.jpg

To much stuff going on not to give an update. First bit of fantastic news is that I am officially a ski bum for all of the spring higher altitude season. I am between jobs and have 2 months freedom (I could take 3 months but that would piss my new employer off). I will be based in Germany later this year.

Within 3 days of resignation I rapidly relieved myself of London (farewell) and am now based in Milan for all of spring.... and 2 hours drive from the mountain passes which will start opening soon.

Some big things are being planned. It keeps snowing in the Alps which is nice but it isn't helping some spring lines gain the stability that they need, so we are on hold until things settle. I thought that rather than post a trip report after the fact, I would post a bit of pre-trip, trip report. That way SJ.com's BC addicts could get all excited, like I am, to see what is carefully brewing and count down the days. I've been chatting to my guide dude and he is watching and waiting for things to come right.

So this is what we've got planned.

Couloirs in the north facing basin of the Argentiere glacier. Take your pick, join the dots....

argbasin4kk.jpg

At this stage our target is Les Courtes Couloir. Red to red. courtesclose1mx.jpg

Les Courtes faces NNE and requires 5 hours to do the route. You basically get yourself by cable car to the top of Grand Montets ski resort then walk along the glacier. Once at the foot of the couloir you climb it. Then you slide all the way back down, throw a hi-five, take a photo and ride your happy self back down the gentle glacier and over into Grand Montets again. The line is reasonably long, approx 750m to the crevassed apron. However the guts of the run is 400m of 48 degrees. This will be a new standard for me, totally new ground that I am very determined to reach.

When you see the pictures you will understand why. It is a classic. Again, join red and red. courtespicwide9ve.jpg

The top section of the line (right hand) with a variant route marked down the left. courtespicclose8ks.jpg

Whilst waiting for les Courtes to settle down we are also planning to get into the classic and easily accessible Cosmiques Couloir down the Aiguilles du Midi above Chamonix. It has heaps of west in it and settles faster. Plus you can access it within 15 minutes from the cable car which means more people have gone down it and there is more beta on the condition from day to day. We are hoping to hit it soon-ish.

The line is roughly down the feint green arrow agmidimap3df.jpg

The entire line isn't glaciated and so it isn't as clear on the map as is les Courtes, however the topographic tends to support the common claim that it offers 800m of 45-50 degrees. Depending on conditions a 50m rappel is required to enter. If it is required this year then it will certainly be the longest length of rope I have ever worked my way down.

Another pic from a trusty book. the Cosmiques couloir has a few neighbouring routes. We are generally riding blue dot to blue dot down the right hand line marked 129 at the top (and then heading home back down the glacier).

cosmiquepic7vb.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the plans do not end there. As I have been rabbiting on about all season, there is an April descent from the summit of the big girl herself:

mbclose7yj.jpg

This has been planned with another small guided group and we have a one week window in which to do it (starting 10 days from now). We will go out for a get to know each other warm up tour, then take a night in a high hut for some acclimatisation, then have a few days to do the summit and descent. If Mont Blanc doesn't offer herself up then we have a back up plan to do either Monte Rossa or Grand Paradiso. Both above 4000m, I will be happy with any of them. There is something slightly pedestrian about riding down Mont Blanc, but I missed the chance to do Fuji when I lived in Japan and I don't want to miss my chance at Europe's big one. So far the snow conditions are looking good enough to make a reasonably safe attempt. But luckily the conditions are not so in form that everyone is doing it, as happens every few years.

I don't know which route we will be taking. That one is totally out of my hands. mbroutes5em.jpg

This topo image is of the face in the picture, just not orientated in the same direction

mbwide2gz.jpg

So all of this will happen over he next 5 weeks

Tomorrow I'm a lucky boy and have scored an almost free guided seat up in a heli. We are doing something behind Courmayeur in Italy. Sunday and Monday are going to be resort days and then we jump in a campervan for a few weeks and I am taking my girlfriend BC touring through some very pleasant non-glaciated spring terrain. We are renting the campervan having not yet bought one as planned.

I hope this post wasn't to in ya face for you, but we are going to have fun. Will keep you updated.

ps - I have been giving skiing a go. I have lots to say about it, but that can come later. On my first day I only crashed twice, both times attempting some off-piste turns in soft snow. That stuff isn't easy. But on piste, so easy and so fun and kind of elegantly natural. It came way more naturally to me than snowboarding did. I reckon being good would take years, but being a lower intermediate and P turning honestly, it takes a day. I am buying gear and going to concentrate on skiing over summer (glaciers with lifts on them, open almost all year round). By next season I hope to be good enough to choose skis on the days when a snow board clearly is the wrong tool for the job. I already own AT boots for snobo so just need to get some skis and AT bindings and I am set.

db congrats on everything all round. you are planning some big stuff mate. Be carefull out there and report back with pics. remember pics! take one between your legs looking down before you drop in.

A convertie to sking I like it!

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
I already own AT boots for snobo so just need to get some skis and AT bindings and I am set.
Congrats Spud
You are going to have so much fun
I only had 2 weeks for my spring vacation and got to ski amazing runs. You're in a much better location and have 2 months. Nice nice.

What AT boots do you have?
I guess if you arn't used to stiff downhill boots a soft boot will work

And as usual I'm the only one on here that can't see you pictures \:\(

Sounds like an incredible trip! I hope you have a great time!

Quote:
(glaciers with lifts on them, open almost all year round)
I'm curious - what areas are you talking about? I'd like to hit them up this Summer if possible. I'll be really close to the Alps for the next three years and would like to ski as much as possible.

Have fun and be safe DB ;\)

Ian - its this book, an absolute gem translated into English. Full appreciation to Chamonix veteran Anselme Baud for writing such motivating guide book that covers the scenic to the extreme. The author's son is on the cover, he died a few years ago in a serac fall and there is a tribute to him at the end of the book that is short and a little moving, but something you would want you father to say.

mont%20blanc2.jpg

Took two super cheap heli drops today as a bit of a give back from the guide I am working with in the area, it was nice of him to get me on board for nothing. First one was down a glacier that would be great on its today, just not right now. It was totally wind packed and required razor edges. I slide out on my arse and took a bit of a bumpy jolted spin down a steep icy bit. I was really pissed at that, it just isn't controlled enough. But the second drop was a cracker. I freaked when I saw what the pilot was aiming at landing on: a stupidly narrow ridge, barely touching the ground, jumped out and the chopper just swooped almost vertically down the cliff face, bloody amazing to see it scream off below our feet down into the valley. Those pilots are insane. The lines entry was into a short 45 degree chute (approx 50m, rocky, powder) with a sketchy cornice at the top and a powder bowl run out that had us literally screaming down, full speed and top of our lungs. Four riders, all of us on a Dupraz or a Rossy Undertaker swallow tail, it was a magic moment in long wide rooster tail turns and nice fast long-board powder riding. I loved it, I really really did. Oh man..... \:\) . Damn it was good.

No photos today but some scenic video footage of our line as we approached in the heli. Sadly right now I have chance at all to transfer it to laptop, edit and post online. It will come later.

Dunno why you guys can't see the pics, they are posted at imageshack.us, a free pic hosting thing. They aren't live shots yet, just my photos of a topo map. No big deal yet (after all, right now it is all just hot air and talk, no action....). URL's:

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/1028/camp4jv.jpg

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/1060/argbasin4kk.jpg

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6345/courtesclose1mx.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6593/courtespicwide9ve.jpg

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/6844/courtespicclose8ks.jpg

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/1296/agmidimap3df.jpg

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/4766/cosmiquepic7vb.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1517/mbclose7yj.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6733/mbroutes5em.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7949/mbwide2gz.jpg

Plucky - glaciers in Austria (I can never remember the names), Zermatt, Vorab (Flims). There are quite a few.

Actually heading to Zermatt tomorrow, big storm is forecast with freeze level falling to 1600m. Ok for April.

Beanie - I have a pair of Dynafit MLT (lace up hard shell rando boots, ok for snobo but not great) and a new pair of Scarpa Matrix which are really good for snobo with their heel retention strap and better fit. I don't use them much though.

spud - are you actually moving to Germany? I know we've had our verbal spats, but I'd love to meet you in person. I'm actually a decent guy and I've been working on the defensiveness the last couple of years ;\)

I'm very jealous of your trip! More pictures are in order...... \:\)

Plucky - I'll be in Dusseldorf. Lets have a beer, my shout. You can teach me how to ski over the summer.

For the crew - here are some quick and easy still shots taken from my video of the second heli drop. Pic's 2 and 3 are details of the very short top section in pic 1.

le%20spud_1.jpg

(Sorry to anyone who doesn't like watching me masturbate over myself and snow. I can understand your distaste. Best you look away).

Quote:
Plucky - I'll be in Dusseldorf. Lets have a beer, my shout. You can teach me how to ski over the summer.
Sounds like a plan! I'll be in the Grafenwoehr area which is around Regensburg and Nuremberg. You'll have to come my way to do any skiing \:\) I'll be there on May 1 and it will take me a month or two to get settled in. I'll PM you when I get set up. The thing I love about Germany is how easy it is to get around on the trains - even easier than Japan!

Great pictures!
 Quote:
Plucky - glaciers in Austria (I can never remember the names), Zermatt, Vorab (Flims). There are quite a few.
Zermatt and Flims are in Switzerland.

austria:
Kitzsteinhorn (Kaprun)
Dachstein
Hintertux
Solden
Stubai
Pitztal
Kaunertal
I might forget 1 or 2

Spud if you are based in Dusseldorf why not go to the indoorslope in Neuss or a little bit further north in Bottrop (owned by Marc Girardelli). It is good for practicing.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sanno:

Zermatt and Flims are in Switzerland.
Sanno - Yes I know all too well (I visit Suisse every nearly weekend, Flims or Andermatt usually). It was my poor sentence structure that lead to that confusion.

I have never been to an artificial/indoor slope and thought that they only existed in England. But if it is close and easy access then I may give it a go a few times to get some quick ski practice done over summer.

Plucky - sounds good. I'll be in the country from approx mid June and the getting myself set up as well.

30cm of snow coming into Chamonix today with freezing level below 1000m. Strong winds up high. Tomorrows couloir attempt is 100% off the cards. In fact, this wind and snow is totally messing with my plans for this week.