Finally, after three seasons and about 15 sessions this year, No2 son has learned how to make the skis work. It's taken a lot of patience, and occasional stern pressure, but finally we can all ski together and I don't have to split my time. happyglass.gif

soubriquet_2.JPG

soubriquet_3.JPG

soubriquet_4.JPG

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's 9yo. This is the boy my ex-wife ("The Psychopath") has had labelled as autistic, because he won't follow her orders. I've taught him to ride a bike, and to ski though. Ha.

He's read the manual, and that was a big help for a technical boy. Photos will be back after re-organisation.

He was using the poles defensively to lever himself around the turn, then running them over and falling. Taking the poles away has forced him to let the skis run.

That was his first ever complete un-assisted run from top to bottom, so body position needs work. But instead of hanging back and being grumpy, he's keen to get on the lift. Yesterday he told me his skill was somehere between beginner and expert, and that he wants to ski off-piste.

Day two. Learned to carry the poles. Gave him a steeper slope experience, which gave him a boost here. He's having fun on the snow.

soubriquet_5.JPG

Day three. Taught him how to get on and off the lift, and handle the ticket. He took himself to the top of the mountain, and got back down alone, turning on the section he sideslipped yesterday. Meanwhile, dad enjoyed a coffee and a Galouise.

Trying to outrun me, he made a high-speed faceplant. I calmed him, got some wind into him and re-assembled him, and he skied straight back to the lift. On the way back up he proudly showed me the lines he had cut in the powder.

One of the ski instuctors arrived seconds after me, and wouldn't return to his class until No2 skied off. They really take care of children in Japan. Side note, earlier when we were practicing at Hanagasa, one of the lift operators noted that son's skis were clagging, and gave them a free hot wax.

No1 son also enjoyed it. Replaced a pair of old 140cm planks with new 155cm carving skis today. He now needs good skis to develop technique happyglass.gif

No1 son's new skis have a pronounced turnup on the tail. Is this what you mean by twin tips?

soubriquet_6.JPG

No2 son has started asking for new skis too. I've told they will come when he can demonstrate a good stem Christie in both directions. We did a lot of km's today, and I didn't bother much with technique, happy to let him run hot. Hot enough for a bare head and open collar on a cold day.

soubriquet_7.JPG

This is all now at Akakura Onsen in Yamagata. A bunch of instructors came up the chairlift just after us, and gave us waves and smiles. The lift loaders all take very good care too. It's great to be able to let them roam freely.

soubriquet_8.JPG

soubriquet_9.JPG

You are taking great care of your kids, thats so awesome mate, great work.

I dont want to comment on anything about autism (whether your ex-pshycho-wife is right or not) however a guy in England had a son who was severly autistic. He was told there is not treatment and be prepared for a trying life.

He didnt buy this.

he was quite wealthy and so took the time to study natural remedies and everything he could about autism. He has found what many beleive is a cure. So much so that it is now in clicnical trials and many beleive is a genuine Lorenzo's oil.

Looking at your son skiing though there is no way he is autistic.

keep up the good work.

Congrats sb on the kids getting to a more independent stage.

Last week I really enjoyed skiing with my daughter for the first time without worrying much at all.

With my wife the 3 of us just cruised around and enjoyed it all. Often she (daughter) would take the lead and ski at her own pace - not so slow.

It's a nice feeling.

Enjoy it. \:\)

Fattwins - that's what I'm afraid of (not really)

Funny you mentioned that tho, coz I was just looking at some on the net the other day. She (daughter) is just about ready for that leap now.

I'm an old slowpoke but she kept up with me on the skier-cross course the other day. Jumps - me gingerly, she - no fear.

I'll be moving aside soon(ish).

soubriquet

Good job getting the kids up and skiing. Its always good to see the little ones up and start going for it. I finally got all mine up last year and its a good feeling.

Final day

soubriquet_10.JPG

Took them to Yudonosan. Large enough to give a choice of lifts and runs. For the first time we were on day passes rather than ticket books, so they ran free, exploring the mountain. Perfect conditions and empty slopes. We all did a lot of clicks.

soubriquet_11.jpg

Then on to a Ryokan at Yutakawa. Onsen and massage were enjoyed by all. Tomorrow, we drive to Narita, and on Monday they will be back in Perth.

No2 son is a particular boy, technical, stubborn and with a hatred of orders. No1 ex-wife demands total and immediate obedience. Solution, get him diagnosed as mentally ill (as with No1 son & ADHT & ritalin & failure to mind control). He came here telling me he couldn't do stuff because he was mentally ill. This is her lesson to my child. I've disabused him of that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
Must be a wicked feeling taking your own kids out on the slopes eh? Look forward to that day...but not too soon \:\)
It is a buzz watching ya kids doing all that!
Remember my grom tried snowboarding for the first time last year at 1.5 yo! Was on the surfboard in Oz in summer but was beaten by his 8 month old brother!
I feel like an old man!
 Quote:
No2 son is a particular boy, technical, stubborn and with a hatred of orders. No1 ex-wife demands total and immediate obedience. Solution, get him diagnosed as mentally ill (as with No1 son & ADHT & ritalin & failure to mind control). He came here telling me he couldn't do stuff because he was mentally ill. This is her lesson to my child. I've disabused him of that.
clap.gif

No1 ex wife.... there is a No2 ex wife?

Choked. Just back after a seven hour drive from Narita, having done the dirty deed. We were a sad and sorry bunch. Man, we were all miserable at the parting. Still, they go back to Perth with good memories and a real sense of achievement. Many thanks to my partner and her family for providing such a harmonious environment, and the people at Hanagasa and Akakura for being so attentive.

There will only ever be one No1 ex.

Thanks all.