I like quite thin soft wool ones. I bought some in Tokyo, snowboard/ski socks. They were medium grey in colour and had what looked like an IBM logo stitched onto them. The elasticity around the ankle and under the arch of the foot was great. They were soft and made of wool. They were the best sock I have ever owned, for any purpose.

The worst socks I own are Burton gimmick socks. They are basically cheap thick artificial socks with stupid Burton gimmicks on them.

regular ski socks don't work for me.

bought 2 pairs of really thin socks at an army surplus 10 years ago for $1. haven't found anything similar since but they are wearing out. so I need something to replace them soon.

regular ski socks don't work for me.

bought 2 pairs of really thin socks at an army surplus 10 years ago for $1. haven't found anything similar since but they are wearing out. so I need something to replace them soon.

Well my feet get cold real quick and so I always put on thick socks. Thats one of the things I don't like about the winter.... cold feet. There should be some special warmed up boots on the market that keep them warm \:\)

Thick socks + tight footwear = cold feet

I got some manmade fibre socks formed out 3 different coloured panels and they fit really well and breathe properly. They're slightly fleecy inside, but not thick. Perfect for a hard night on the town in the winter too.

Thick socks + tight footwear = cold feet

I can second that one. The boots I used to have were fairly tight and thick socks did little to make me tooties feel any warmer. Fleecy things are good.