• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fattwins

• mattlucas

• Yuki's Passion

• bushpig

You can definitely register domains for less than $30 these days -

I agree with Montoya - register both hyphen and without. Then you can put whichever you prefer on your meishi/promo etc, or you could even put both on there if you wanted.

You might pay more for your main name with hosting, etc, but your secondary names can be registered and pointed to the main url quite cheaply.

For graphics, I don't know - you can still do something pretty good without the hyphen in there, just add a space and have the actual website name underneath, as in Snow Japan (snowjapan.com)

I think that would look better (personally) having the logo without a hyphen in there.

Does a hyphen in the name really matter? I prefer to type in names without hyphens. If you see a promo for

Fattwins Hakuba (in big letters)

www.fattwinshakuba.com (underneath in small letters)

it's pretty straight forward to just type it in as written and not be confused by the words.

Maybe it's a Japanese thing that they prefer hyphens? Or maybe it's just my personal opinion. But I don't see that as a 'blending in', since it's simply the domain name and the actual graphic can be very different, ie - each word standing out.

At any rate you still have plenty of time to decide which to use as your main domain spelling, after registering both (and more optionals too).

I recommend you do some websurfing research on double names and get an idea of how who are using hyphens and who aren't. Snowjapan aren't. My double word domains don't have hyphens (you'll see one in my SJ profile if you're curious). Granted these might be easier to read than fattwinshakuba, but then again, perhaps not. Still, for ease of typing I like fattwinshakuba.com

Montoya - why do you like the hyphen for "standing out"? Is it that your customers tend to like that, is it a Japanese thing, why do you think it's needed? Is it personal preference? Does it relate to the graphic as well?

Sava, thanks for the info on links vs metatags, I could have been wrong about my designer's views - we hadn't actually talked about links at that point.

Deer antlers, LOL!

Yeh, I like the room names - of course then you must also have a Montoya room with pictures of whatever the hell that thing is on your avatar. The Toque room can be decorated with lots of toques. The Yamakashi room, hmmmm...... not sure how to decorate that one :p ;\)

Sunrise:

Does a hyphen in the name really matter? I prefer to type in names without hyphens. If you see a promo for

Fattwins Hakuba (in big letters)

www.fattwinshakuba.com (underneath in small letters)

----

I agree although it's up to FT of course. I remember reading a study that discussed this and found that people quite often will try it without the hyphen. Of course, both can be easily registered.

Yamakashi room, maybe nurses uniforms. ;\)

As for blending in the hyphen or no hyphen it will be the name that makes it stand out. Sunrise has a good point about the logo. Basically with a bit of creativity and time any name can be made into a logo/id.

I think with all the great advice here you should have one of the best businesses going.

Apart from SJ of course wave.gif

Some reasons not to use Fattwins

It's only a forum handle.

It doesn't clearly convey anything at all.

It has various possible pronunciations.

It can easily be misspelled (and it is a misspelling anyway).

People who don't like fat people will be inclined to be prejudiced against it (don't underestimate this!)

Those who figure out what the name actually means will mark you and your place as for skiing (only?)

Everything you post on a forum with your current handle will reflect on your business if they have the same name (and bear in mind, with your spelling you often seem like a bit of a retard).

Rethink required methinks! People who are recommending fattwins haven't thought it through.

O11, I laughed at this a lot.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

Some reasons not to use Fattwins

People who don't like fat people will be inclined to be prejudiced against it (don't underestimate this!)

Those who figure out what the name actually means will mark you and your place as for skiing (only?)

Everything you post on a forum with your current handle will reflect on your business if they have the same name (and bear in mind, with your spelling you often seem like a bit of a retard).

especially that last one

this is getting into material I think will leave most people yawning, but anyway, I think that to most search engines the hyphen acts as a space and will pick up fattwins-hakuba as two separate names ("fattwins" and "hakuba"). whereas if it is fattwinshakuba then it would be treated as one long word, with neither fattwins nor hakuba being picked up. it is just one factor to consider, as the search engines shouldn't be relying just on the domain name, but on other stuff as well.

regarding logos, you could do FattwinsHakuba.com I guess.

sunrise, that's a snow-monkey in my avatar. don't think he'll want a room devoted to monkeys in his place..

> this is getting into material I think will leave most people yawning

Indeed. Advising our friend on how to construct an impenetrable domain name based on an original dumb choice of name.

Yawn.

Fatty

First and foremost, congratulations!

As for the name, I think the Ocean has a point to be honest. For those who don't know, it looks like Fat-wins, which really doesn't mean anything. Fat (stop) twins also looks difficult for Japanese people to pronounce, and maybe for English speaking people too. The consecutive "t" sounds don't exactly roll off the tongue. Fat, twin-tipped skis may also be superceded by another technology.

I wouldn't make such a big thing about your presence on this or other forums since you may well end up being too busy to keep it up during the season when you have real, live people to talk to. It's also a big change from customer to provider, and there may well be a change in your best interests. There could well be a lot of stuff that you can't, or really shouldn't, comment on in public forums. You can't please all the people all the time, don't forget that. If your place is well set up, you'll get customers. Don't worry about that.

You can name Yama's room "The Creek"!

Quote:
the last line made me laugh as well. One thing I really dont know how to do is spell, or for that matter re-check my work.

Im at a loss for what to name the domain at the moment.

CBs room has been so named as the stinky cold creek.

thanks Mr. wiggles we will see you in 2 weeks when I next come up.

Too be honest I thought that once I reformed the place, I would then rename everything. Maybe this is a bad idea, but I figured that a reopening of sorts would require a new name, ie image.

Interesting discussion ... I like the following:

1) The Fattwins Powder Lodge (FPL)

2) The Fat Powder Lodgings (FPL)

3) The Fattwins Powder Pensione (FPP)

4) Fat Hakuba Lodge (FHL)

5) Waist deep in Hakuba

6) Over the head in Hakuba

Personally no. 2) above is my favourite. I have always liked the name of that cat skiing operation near Fernie, ISLAND LAKE LODGE, so something conveying a homely place to chill out after a day of face shots is definitely good.

Let us know what you decide hey.