• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fattwins

• mattlucas

• Yuki's Passion

• bushpig

Quote:
Originally posted by AK 77:
[That could be a very dangerous step, if it made people think that by having such equipment they could survive avalanches, and so take more risks.
[/QB]
that's one side of the argument. The thing that made me decide to get one was in avalung report it asked the question of 'how long can you hold your breath?'
Even if your buddies are close by, don't panic and use their beacons/probes & shovels, you're still going to be running out of air (feeling the ice mask of death forming).
It's a bit like the warning people always give re:beacons. 'Just owning a beacon won't guarantee you surviving an avalanche'.
 Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
i've been completely submerged (not in an avi)and know first hand what that suffocating sensation is like.
sounds interesting, so what was the situation when you couldn't breath and felt like you were suffocating? ;\)

appologies for the gutter mind, i'm sure it was just an innocent lesbian pillow fight that got out of hand. \:D

>you're still going to be running out of air (feeling the ice mask of death forming).

Actually, you wont run out of air, there is plenty of that in your cold tomb of snow. What kills you is re-breathing your expired carbon dioxide. The oxygen is there, however it is displaced by the CO2. The Avalung doesn't supply you with O2, it simply transports the expired CO2 into a space where it doesn't displace your breathing oxygen. That is why the Avalung is designed the way it is, with the breathing output area being on your back.

But what's it matter, dead and blue-faced is dead and blue-faced.

I think that the Avalung is an excellent tool to help you stay alive once buried if you can get the mouth piece in your gob in time, and keep it there during there during the tumble.

On the flip side: considering using an avalung is kind of pointless if you don't even care about the fact that you have none releasable snowboard bindings. If there is one thing you should change to decrease the chances of death it is that.

yeah, I looked on the dakine japan website and couldn't find it in their Japan product range. I'll have a bit of a search for it. What's your verdict on the burton zoom? Cheers for the offer, but I reckon I can get that one down here easily enough.

nope. Will very rarely, if ever use them. I saw the mission in the shop the other day and like the look of the dakine straps and setup. I remember reading somewhere that the mission is quite similar to the sequence, so I think I'm leaning more toward the dakine than the burton.

the dakine has the removable block which is a big plus. You can put it in different bags if the need arises. I also find the dakine to be lower profile than the zoom. You could travel with it no problem and it doesn't scream 'this is a camera bag - steal me!'

the camo colour looks good too thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by AK 77:
 Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
i've been completely submerged (not in an avi)and know first hand what that suffocating sensation is like.
sounds interesting, so what was the situation when you couldn't breath and felt like you were suffocating? ;\)

appologies for the gutter mind, i'm sure it was just an innocent lesbian pillow fight that got out of hand. \:D
i did a headplant

i was actually talking about a snow situation, not the suffocating feeling i get when i smell you walking into a room