I use an older version of this in the summer as my bag and then as an overbag in the winter

This overbag is really popular in Canada

It's not a bivisack so it does not need to be gortex like Dizzy says. It just adds another layer to protect the loft of the bag in cold conditions from condensation inside and out of the bag

5003642_v1_m56577569830584667.jpg

The Penguin Overbag adds between 5 and 10°C to the rating of another sleeping bag. Just as importantly, in nasty conditions the overbag helps reduce the build-up of condensation in the inner bag from frost and the sleeper’s own perspiration. This keeps the primary bag’s insulation drier and more effective. The Penguin is cut to fit over low- to medium-loft mummy bags.

The Penguin can also be used on its own in moderate conditions, such as low-altitude summer nights, sleeping in hostels, or as an emergency (somewhat cool) bivi sack. It is rated to approximately +15°C when used on its own.

This second-generation Penguin features a hood, to insulate the area of highest heat loss. It also has a half-length zipper running down each side: This eliminates the need to chose between a right or left zip, and provides venting versatility.

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fattwins

• mattlucas

• Yuki's Passion

• bushpig

toque would you do if a down sleeping bag got wet? i prefer a gore-tex just in case a drink gets spilled in a tent or whatever.

that overbag looks comfortable. is there a cushion by the feet?

the problem with using a bivy is condensation, which i find is increased even with gore-tex. this then freezes and makes me colder in the middle of the night/morning. i've been using a summer bag with a liner sheet and a bivy for winter camping the last couple of years. i try not to cover much more than half with the bivy. overbag would be a better option inside a tent.

toque is that overbag from mec, if it's small and light enough i might order it to my parent's and pick it up a christmas.

dude, i'm taking a week off in late jan or early feb. and i'm saving another week for spring tours. apart from that i think i can manage two weekends a month for the length of the season.

i'm going to go look at skis/boots whathaveyou again on saturday.

Quote:
Originally posted by sock_monkey:
toque is that overbag from mec, if it's small and light enough i might order it to my parent's and pick it up a christmas.
Yes it is
Should be small and light. I know mine is but mine is older and doesn't have the hood. They are also nice because they are very roomy on their own so you can wear lots of clothing if it does get cold.
I've even worn my inner boots and full gortex inside mine when it gets cold

Spilling drinks is something that you just don't do. And if you do spill then you have to live with it. Always put the lid back on your nalgene bottles after you finish your drink. Or make sure the bag is out of the way if you are eating inside the tent.

A gortex outerbag won't be as breathable as a real outerbag

ok, i know this has been asked before, but unless you keep your photos on flickr or whatever, how the f do you post them - as it wants a web address to locate them???

and yes, i have tried searching the forum for the answer, but the most recent one was 2002 that came up..

anyway...

(i have the fabled pic of EBCs fall location in my possession!)

cb keep your eyes on TGR crampons always pop up.

you can get ice axes for 50 bucks.

AK ill see you tomorrow at tracks maybe around half 9.

cb second your flickr info id love to see your stupid pics.

These bears, my freaking cold, my parents being here, and now the rain are not letting me do my jogging.

This cold is also not letting me hold my baby.

You have to host them on a website somewhere. If you don't have your own, then you need one of the public ones. If it is snow in Japan, you can put them up here. Otherwise use photobucket or imageshack. I use imageshack because that's where I'm registered. Just follow the instructions.

It's here! What you've all been waiting for...

EBCs infamous crash scene.

Using my almost disconcertingly supernatural photographic memory and unparallelld artistic skills, I bring you an exact replica of the famous contraband photo, just like a master forger's copy of a Renoir that will baffle the expert authenticators for years to come...

AK%2077_1.jpg

hey, it's exactly what the photo looked like - steep drop in, one critical turn over maybe head high plus a bit height cliff/rock band, with some scattered rocks below, with the line (skiing line, not falling line) mellowing to normal as soon as you're past the dogleg start.

one day the real photo will be seen.. and then my artistic genius will be recognised. *sigh*

Oh, yeah. I'm coming for sure - will see you at Tracks! Go Canada, eh!