1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Do you do warmups before actually starting to ride? I've got this Japanese-dude mate who insists on stretching and doing these wild warm up exercises at the bottom of the slopes before putting his skis on. He looks wild. I think he's taking it way too far (I have usually done about 5 runs before he joins me!!!). My warm up is the first few runs - just taking them easy.

Am I normal, or is he?

Yes I definitely do some warm up before I start to ride. Mostly some light running, stretching and some jumping on the spot. If I strap my self on the board without warming up at least my feet first, I usually get cramps.

I mast be really funny sight though, jumping an running all around the parking lot! :p

Quote:
Originally posted by gamera:
In my case, I stretch AFTER putting my ski on - much harder than doing it before putting them on though but really effective to make your muscles loosen.
So do I! \:\)

yeah, i do bits of my old taekwondo warm up. it's more to loosen up all of my joints than to really stretch my muscles. i'm definitely with the idea that the first few runs act as a good enough warm up, but i really like to loosen up my ankles, knees and waist/ hips before i get shredding.

I can certainly relate to your story frannyo. The wild, overdone stretching seems to go hand in hand with athletics in japan (no offense j-peeps). I used to play college baseball in the US and every year we played a Japanese Uni team (Nittai Dai). We used to watch in awe as they collectively stretched and ran and worked themselves into a frenzy before (and after) every game.

I'm like you frannyo, my first run of the day I take it easy and consider it adequate warm up.

Stretching routine - what's that?

I try to think holistically: getting outta bed, having a wash, dressing, breakfast, coffee, putting on the ski boots, and walking to the gondola all contributes, and is the extent of the routine.

(Just putting on the boots is enough exertion.)

Strong coffee is perhaps the most important warm-up in the whole 'set' ;\)

SubZero

The stretching routing. Perhaps someone has a fun vid of it. The one I've noticed a few people is just so extreme and goes on for ages, like frannyo said. Even when I used to go jogging, some guys had this extended warm up routine going on that lasted longer than the run itself.

I can hardly see the point. Is there a point?

I'm with you guys, first run of the day is my warm up.

Quote:
Originally posted by big-will:

Are you in that pic SubZero?
No way BW - there's only room for one (retired) Morris Dancer on this website - and that's Mr. RMD. lol.gif

Haha, never seen those guys do their stuff. Looks very jolly though.

As for warmups, my first few runs is mine. I can't be having all this girly stretching before getting a ride - straight out there.

Doing the boots up is definately a warm up but I reckon the body needs a strech after sitting in the car for 5 hours (bus 8hours).

Get into the yogic 'warrior pose' before sliding. Then the mountain is yours.

I reckon you need to stretch after freezing up on the lift too. No worries about your groins going and keeping you from sliding the rest of the day.