• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A real puzzler that one, what with all the masses of photos that you and Chriselle have posted so far, hey.  

Tubby, I suggest some kind of Dome project, to keep all those Scots warm and safe from the snow.     I must admit I haven't put much thought into it yet - still working on Fukushima solutions -

Weather can't make its mind up here. Snow is forecasted for this morning, but just very dull and cloudy at the moment!

x2. Very little overnight, Cortina is reporting 20cm though but the top lifts are closed again today. Snow outside is wet and heavy.

Rained last night. At least down our end. Snowed until about 6pm but it was increasingly getting wet (i was shoveling it at school from about 2-4 and then cycling the 5kms back home in it).

Had a look outside around 9 or ten last night and it was raining. This morning the roads were pretty much clear, the paths have tiny ice death cookies glued to them in long streaky annoying impenetrable lines. Here endeth the mystery!

Considering we were told it was "puking 40cm all day yesterday", hearing the wet.heavy story is rather surprising.

Lots of snow yesterday with that later in the day being some what wet as the temps increased during the day and it stopped early evening. Plows were working all day trying to keep up. It almost felt like it wanted to rain but didnt. Was out shovelling at about 4pm and it was defineltly heavier (mass not volumes) then the snow we had over night and in the morning. It got rather cold last night so there was one of those light freezers on top this morning.

Hey Snowdude...Keep me up to date as I don't want a repeat of getting stuck in the traffic nightmare I had going through Yamanashi last month.

Definitely keep an eye on it Chris. The mother****ers were doing the tire checks near Fujimi last Saturday with exactly 0cms of accumulation on the road... and we kept driving all the way to Toyoshina with no snow on the road. They were even making people put chains on their cars. They turned an otherwise traffic free road into 30 mins of deadlock. It was so ****ing bloody ridiculous that my wife called Nexco to complain about their stupidity. It was quite funny listening to her telling them off...

There must surely be some rule deciding when they do that? Did it start snowing madly after?

No, it wasn't snowing madly after that... it was clear skies until we got to Omachi area. We were driving under clear skies with some snow on the sides of the road, no accumulation on the road and it was even dry in some areas. Until we saw the sign for the tire check we were convinced that it had to be an accident because the conditions simply did not warrant that kind of over reaction. I think it is just a case of someone making a decision in an office in Tokyo with no feedback or input from the people who are actually on site.

I don't think it's a totally random check but each of the times I went through the road block there was no snow nor any snow all the way to the Toyoshina exit. They also check at Toyoshina for traffic going north to Nagano but I think that one tends to actually have merit.

Kobuchizawa....? wow... they must be really nervous.. :lol: Can you imagine the shit storm the phone lines to Nexco must have been last month..haha.

There must have been a heck of a lot of rain to wash away all of that 40cm.

:veryshocked:

Bottomless rain!

In truuuuth i dont think thats very fair. It was after all pete, and its not like hes the official resort snow report guy. He looked at the snow falling and what he was clearing and made an approximation. Would anyone take my opinion of how much snow is on nozawa based on the conditions at togarinozawa station? Of course, my almost perfect guesstimates (wtf! spell check is a NAZI when i try and type something in british-english, but not when i pluralize a clearly stupid ****ing word?) might make you trust them. But the only real and accurate answer is after ive been on the hill and seen for myself how much freshies there is and the quality of it. Lets see what todays hakuba now says about yesterdays weather to see if the hype machine is really just a massive bullshit machine...

It was snowing nicely yesterday morning and we got some more cm on the ground... by lunchtime Hakuba Cortina was reporting 5cm of additional snow and up to that around Hakuba I would say too.

The snow turned into rain late afternoon, in the village base areas anyway. Unfortunately that means that some of that lovely snow has turned into heavier and wetter stuff this morning. Doh!

Anyway up to 5cm or so in the village area since my report yesterday. Hakuba 47 are reporting 3cm up top and 1-2cm lower slopes this morning and similar news coming from Hakuba Goryu. Hakuba Cortina, always one to give us the biggest numbers, are reporting 10-20cm of new snow in addition to that 5cm at lunchtime yesterday.

This morning we have overcast skies with fairly poor visibility - only the lower parts of the mountain on show from village at the moment. There's just a slight breeze and light snow showers.

Overcast skies, slight breeze, and vision quite poor today. Light snow showers.

So, for now some suddenly wet and heavier conditions out on the slopes, I would imagine better conditions found as you go higher of course. Snow is forecast to be falling on and off through into the weekend and it should keep cold so hopefully over the next few days we will get some decent topups.

I'll update you tomorrow!

So er there we go. Snow, becoming rain. Pretty much what was said in the thread. :) The only claim of 40cms was a prediction and based on a projection of what he was seeing on the ground where he was and what he was expecting up top. Its not really something to get all catty about to be honest. Its not the official numbers, its just dudes on the forums getting all excited about the snow. And since i was working anyways, who the **** cares how much snow anyones got? The only thing i care about is that it stays on the mountains where it belongs and lets me cycle to the gym without falling off my bike. :)