• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

Yes, very swish.

What's the white remote controller by the bath for? I guess the hot water one connects to the wire coming out of the wall.

Looks very nice indeed, and looks a bit like how our bathroom will be only different colour and we have the wash basin in the changing room area next to the bathroom.

You are steaming away with your house. We now have the roof on our house, went to see it yesterday. I reckon your house will be finished before ours! The whole place must really be starting to take shape for you.

The bath unit has been installed.

:friend:

I missed the main bit which was a bit disappointing, I wanted to see how it arrived and they put it together.

15mk9jk.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm pleased with it. Perhaps a slightly large window might have been good but we were restricted with that.

The control panel is for the......jet bath thingy. He he.

Slightly extravagant perhaps, but as we went with Yamaha for the bath, kitchen, and dresser for the 洗面所, it really didn't add that much to the total deal.

It was kind of a present to myself for all the effort.

Looking forward to using it.

:friend:

The ridiculous pace of the first few weeks seems to have calmed down now actually, snowdude.

Just one or two carpenters when I have been the last few times.

They're putitng in insulation now, and I suppose next is boarding up walls.

Then flooring.

Electician and plumber have been this last two weeks.

Still saying mid October, so no suddenly early finish it would seem.

Jacuzzi? Yeah, a bit of hotel kibun! We put a wooden bath and a massive window in, so we get onsen kibun.

On the "extravagance" issue, you do get people assuming that any custom or non-standard grade thing must be hugely expensive without having any idea of how much they actually cost. It's best to just ignore them though.

The control panel is for the......jet bath thingy. He he.

Slightly extravagant perhaps, but as we went with Yamaha for the bath, kitchen, and dresser for the 洗面所, it really didn't add that much to the total deal.

It was kind of a present to myself for all the effort.

I reckon Black Mountain might have had a few words there....

Sounds like his work that.

;)

:lol:

It wasn't exactly cheap, but not a mad addition either. Always good to ask and find out.

The wood bath/onsen sounds good, Mr Wiggles. Silly question perhaps but how do you clean a wood bath?

Would be so cool to have a jetbath at home.

I really like Japanese style bathing arrangements. Didn't really realise how rubbish UK was in that respect until I went to Japan.

I love jacuzzi type baths.

Jacuzzi is actually a trade name isn't it, one that has become a generic description?

True, the term here in Oz is "spa bath" which neatly avoids the use of trade name. I suspect that any manufacturer would be wary of using "jacuzzi" in their name/description because of the legal implications.

:lol:

It wasn't exactly cheap, but not a mad addition either. Always good to ask and find out.

The wood bath/onsen sounds good, Mr Wiggles. Silly question perhaps but how do you clean a wood bath?

We just wipe it with a sponge and rinse it off. With Japanese style bathing, the water stays pretty clean so cleaning isn't such a big issue. We fill it fresh every time so it doesn't have yesterday's water sitting in it.

To make it like more an onsen, I put the window at bath level and planted a garden outside. Just a maple with some shade plants underneath but it looks nice lit up at night time.

I bought the tub off the guy in Yokohama selling them on Yahoo Auctions.

Thanks Mr Wiggles.

Error404. I'm not sure. But... in our case, before the bath went in there was a big gaping hole between 1F/2F (bath going on 2F).

I presume that they needed it in there to build around and fit the water pipes and everything.

I heard early on that the bath is always something that goes in quite quickly.

Looks to me like it's a single unit, pre-manufactured (probably fibreglass) with all the jets plumbed, and the heatin elements and filters already there. Just drop it into the position, hook up water lines in and drainage out, plus electrics for controller to pump, heater and anything else you have (like DVD player?) and then build the enclosure around it.

Just HAVE TO make sure that you, or your sparky & plumber, can get to the pump and controls for future work.

My guess would be that it's basically panels that clip together to make a waterproof box with all of the lights and functions already installed.

I'd be surprised if the water pipes weren't hooked up when it was installed, though they mightn't be connected to the plumbing header and drain line just yet.

Plumbing with plastic pipes looks like a much easier job than in the past with copper.

A whirlpool bath might be different (outdoor ones use waste heat from the motors), but most Japanese baths use a return line to the boiler and don't have heaters built in.

It's pretty common, but Dumbstick's bath also fills from the boiler and doesn't have its own tap.