Good Telly you might have missed.

Theres a good movie thread, but I always run out of tv to watch, and i cant spam that thread with this stuff. So necessity demands i make a new one. Obviously skip the CSI et al. We all 'like' the big bang theory etc, (though some of us might hate how i met your mother and its always sunny) but that stuffs pretty well known.

So i aint just leaching off your ideas heres a few you might wanna watch...

Firefly: about ten years old now, you might have missed it when it initially came out (i did). A kind of sci-fi western hybrid. Really fun and some great characters. Joss whedon always writes great characters though. And it doesnt hurt to have Ben Edlund in there (writer of THE TICK and also writer of almost all the self referential Supernatural episodes - if its a parody episode it was probably written by edlund - by the way, the latest season of supernatural has been a bit of a return to form. Lots more humour back in the show in case you stopped watching it after the 'brooding' (emo) of seasons 4, 5 and 6).

All in all though, good fun, a bit inconsistent (first few episodes werent that strong, then a couple of good ones, then a couple of dodgy ones before finding its feet around episode 8 or 9 when you suddenly realise that they should have made Enterprise a bit more dirty like this and it might still be on the telly... well, probably not since this one was cancelled at the end of its first season).

Number 2: Bob's burgers. Laugh out loud funny animation show. Not much i can really say about it. Just really clever writing and awesome characters.

Number 3: Fresh meat. The guys that made peep show cooked this up last year and it was consistently brilliant. Just a bunch of students living together for their first year of uni and getting into scrapes.

Number 4: The ricky gervais Show/An idiot abroad. I watched the latter a few months ago and loved seeing karls take on the world. Just finished watching the ricky gervais show and its kept me moderately entertained while im cooking or killing time. Good for when youre kinda doing something else in truth since it is ostensibly a radio show. Lots of amazing statements from Karl though that have you playing the "he cant be real?" game.

Number 5: Louie, Louis CK does a kind of seinfeld. Sorta. First season is a bit more straightforward, a bit of standup, a few set ups and away it goes. But the second season goes a bit more meta (and a lot more interesting).

Number 6: Speaking of Meta: Sayonara Zetsubou sensei. Season 1 is nice, (oh, its an anime, geeks), pretty funny, worth watching. But season 2 gets awesome and very sharp.

Number 7: Stewart Lees comedy vehicle. An acquired taste. But im a guardian reader lefty so you know... quack like a duck etc. I obviously like what he does.

Number 8: Not a tv series but the stewart lee thing made me think of him: Anything by Daniel Kitson. He is arguably the worlds best stand up comedian and i just felt the burning need to crap my thread by sharing this.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently saw Men Behaving Badly for the first time.

Not amazing but some funny moments in there, usually coming from Neil Morrissey.

I think he kind of reminded me with a dude I used to share a place with at uni.

heres a bunch of others for the non brits;

(for those that dont understand why shaun of the dead wasnt quite as funny as it should have been (no jessica stevenson/hynes neutralising the geekery):

Spaced

Once upon a time dylan moran was teh funniest stand up in the uK;

Black books

Nathan Barley

JAM

screenwipe

Gavin and stacey (is utterly charming for a season).

hmmm... what else?

The mighty boosh of course...

Any documentary by adam curtis (the mayfair set, the power of nightmares, the century of the self, the trap... i was a little disappointed with his latest - all watched over...) but otherwise splendid stuff.

I LOVE noble and silver: get off me. But pretty hard to find these days...

Ill think of more.

Watching DS9 and archer at the moment. Archers fun. Nice that its bob from bobs burgers too doing the exact same voice :)

Some shows you may/may not have heard of that I enjoy:

Modern Family

Walking Dead

Spartacus

Parks and Recreation

Wilfred (American version)

The League (show about American fantasy football, really funny though)

Eastbound and Down (season 1 is the best)

Community (I hadn't heard about this show until mid-season 2, hilarious)

Person of Interest (Just completed season one, really picked up after mid-season)

Game of Thrones (I can't believe I just posted this......HOW IS ANYONE NOT WATCHING THIS?!) lol

Happy Endings

New Girl

Spartacus (all 3 shows, and they are working on a new season now)

You can find previews/trailers on youtube, too many to post here lol ;) Let's watching!

Tried watching shameless when i returned to the UK in 2009, for some reason i didnt get it. Still, same with arrested development. Watched the first episode and couldnt quite get my head around what it was doing. Had a bit of a change of heart as it went on. :)

The thick of it. Awesome programme. In fact, one of the best ever.

I should mention theres an american remake airing at the moment (or might have finished by now), called Veep. Watched the first episode, but slow, kinda has the feel, so its very much the same feeling as when you might (as a brit) have seen steve carell be david brent... but not david brent. The danger is that the star of the thick of it was never the member of parliament, but malcolm tucker, and try as i might, i cant really see anyone like him there. Julia louise Dreyfuss has too much star power to be someone like chris langham in this.

On this note ill also mention Nighty Night. Dark dark comedy from Julia Davis (if youre a brit youll have seen her on Jam, gavin and stacey, brass eye (another recommendation), and er nathan barley apparently).

Actually, i just read that she cowrote lizzie and sarah with Jessica hynes. So er, guess i should add that one to my watch list.

Found it on vimeo, and its pretty decent (though too quick - its almost like it was made for one episode).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrqIpzuZ6FA

Just watched some human remains clips from the youtube sidebar there. Guess thats on the list too :)

Oh, and the catherine tate show was good clean wholesome fun.