Haven't noticed any mention of this on here.

Sound like we have another sad case like the one from a couple of years ago.

from http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8418553/nsw-man-found-dead-at-japanese-ski-resort

An Australian man has died at a ski resort town in Japan.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT) said on Monday the 45-year-old man from NSW died in Niseko, one of Japan's top resorts.

A spokesperson for DFAT said consular assistance is being provided to friends he was with in Japan and family in Australia.

No details surrounding his death have been released.

It was reported that a 45-year-old Australian man had gone missing from Niseko after last being seen at the Splash Bar at 1am.

It said according to information from a friend's Facebook page the man had been staying at a backpackers hotel in the area of Izumikyo for seven days and had been due to fly home on Sunday.

A subsequent response to the post said his body had been found in a river.

Niseko has become a popular resort for Australian skiers and snowboarders, with Australians making up the majority of international tourists to the resort, according to the Niseko Promotion Board.

The body of Australian man, Scott McKay, was found in Niseko in April 2009, two month months after he left a bar in the same resort town.

Very sad to hear. Sounds like a case of being too drunk and not making it home which can have serious consequenses anywhere but in a cold environment like Hokkaido it's that much more dangerous.

RIP and condolences to the family.

Sad end to that story. I had heard through Facebook he was missing.

It was apparently his last night out too...probably had an awesome trip and was celebrating well.

Condolences to his family, and friends.

Remember that incident in 2009 as well.

Me too. Spent 2 days poking around in snow drifts looking for the guy.

This will probably end up being another cautionary tale about drinking and attempting to walk back to your accomm alone in the early hours of the morning. Best not to do it even if you know the area really well. A mate of mine who's a local in Niseko last season attempted to walk home after becoming very drunk and ended up falling over unconcious in the middle of the road. His wife who was worried about him drove into town and found him. He was lucky but boy was he in the dog house for awhile!!

Hold on

糸魚川市のシャルマン火打スキー場で12日午後5時ごろ、長野県から来た男性3人の行方が分からなくなっているとスキー場関係者から警察に届け出がありました。3人のうちスノーボードに来ていた宮下朋晃さん(25)と宮下駿さん(25)は13日午前に県警航空隊のヘリによって救助されました。スキーに来ていた頓所満さん(39)は依然として行方不明となっていて、13日の捜索では近くを流れる能生川から頓所さんが借りていたスキー板2枚が見つかりました。頓所さんは能生川に転落したとみられ、警察などは14日も頓所さんを捜索することにしています。

Without going all nanny state, this is an issue worthy of discussion.

I wonder if the latest fellow was aware of the circumstances of Scotts death?

The old 'information is power' rhetoric holds true in these circumstances.

I have slipped on ice near that bit of water stone cold sober in years gone by, didn't actually fall let alone slip into the water, but it raises your awareness.

Remembering the tragic evolution of Scotts demise, I always make sure that we stay in pairs when we are drinking. Even the guys have had me ram that message down their throats - we do not leave a man behind. I could hardly be angry at Papabear when he waltzed in at 3.30am a few weeks back and I saw the condition of our mate!! He had no choice but to stay and help him find his way home.

But if you were aware that lives had been lost on the walk home when heavily intoxicated in that particular area, and you knew you had to walk past that area...surely you would change your drinking plan a bit. Pair up, grab a cab, or go home a bit less intoxicated and finish the job once you got to your lodge.

I can't help but think this was a case of not knowing, not realising and if he had known perhaps disaster could have been averted.

Fences, warning signs, or education. I don't know whether any have a valid place here or not, but I would think something could be done to improve the outcomes

Charmant Hiuchi, 3 men visiting from Nagano.

Two of them found and safe, one still missing - his skis found but they continue search for him today.

I think that is what it says.

60 people out looking today apparently, but he has not been found.

Just on the local Niigata news.

I can't help but think this was a case of not knowing, not realising and if he had known perhaps disaster could have been averted.

Fences, warning signs, or education. I don't know whether any have a valid place here or not, but I would think something could be done to improve the outcomes

A few years back they had a "Don't Catch Your Death" campaign in Europe with something like a million beer mats and posters printed because every year a couple of British people died in the same circumstances. No idea if it reduced the number of deaths, though a quick google shows that deaths are still occurring :sadface:

I wonder if the latest fellow was aware of the circumstances of Scotts death?

The old 'information is power' rhetoric holds true in these circumstances.

I have slipped on ice near that bit of water stone cold sober in years gone by, didn't actually fall let alone slip into the water, but it raises your awareness.

Remembering the tragic evolution of Scotts demise, I always make sure that we stay in pairs when we are drinking. Even the guys have had me ram that message down their throats - we do not leave a man behind. I could hardly be angry at Papabear when he waltzed in at 3.30am a few weeks back and I saw the condition of our mate!! He had no choice but to stay and help him find his way home.

But if you were aware that lives had been lost on the walk home when heavily intoxicated in that particular area, and you knew you had to walk past that area...surely you would change your drinking plan a bit. Pair up, grab a cab, or go home a bit less intoxicated and finish the job once you got to your lodge.

MB I don't think being aware would make a whole lot of difference. People do silly things when they're drunk. Hell I literally can't remember the amount of times I've stumbled, damn near crawled home after a big night of nomi hodai and karaoke through knee deep snow and blizzard conditions. I'm completely aware of the dangers but hey I had to get home and there was no other way to do it other than walk (taxis shut down for a few hours overnight in Kutchan) and no one else I went out with lived close by,